Babies on planes

sandramcd

Bassinettes are the baby's seat and you dont need another "seat" seat. In the olden days they used to be 10% of a fare but it is aeons since I have travelled with a baby:biglaugh: so no idea how much they are now. Yes, you do absolutely need to book one - basically it is a cot that comes down from the bulkhead (the wall in the middle of the plane) and the baby can sleep properly in it. It is basically 2 seats wide. Be very sure that the bassinette is written on your order with the travel agent in big block letters because there is nothing worse than having to sit with a baby on your lap for 24 hours!!!! They are often in high demand and so may be a factor in booking your flight - they will be able to tell you if there is one available on the flight you want to book. The baby is the one who will be getting the best sleep on the flight, I assure you!!!

Guest Andy and Tracy

Hiya - it's the row behind the toilets in the middle aisle. Basically, the wall in front of you has a drop down table like thing. You then ask the stewardess for a bassinet which is basically an old fashioned moses basket thing which straps to the wall . I think it's for babies under a certain weight. Our 18 month old was too big to go in the bassinet, but the extra space on the floor meant we could put blankets down and let him sleep there.

We specifically asked for the extra leg room seats when we booked our flights. They said they couldn't guarantee it, but we got them anyway. Ask when you book, ask again when you check-in just to double check as they give away your seats if you are not careful. They did that to us.I caused a fuss and got them back again.

We've got a similar thread running started by Kay Tee over the weekend - useful tips on there too. "Toddlers on long haul flights....food"

For all our worrying, our kids were as good as gold.

Tracy

Thanks for the replies! It was the other thread that got me thinking - I wasn't sure if it was like a car seat that straps onto the seat. The baby will be about 9mnths when we fly so hopefully that will be about right. He is quite a wriggler already so the thought of having him on my lap for that long was worrying me slightly! I have now heavily underlined, and circled with stars, the note regarding the bassinet for my husband to email to his employers.

Guest Kev, Kaz & Ellie

I hate to rain on your parade, but just to let you know that you can't use these seats during take off or landing or ( and this can be a killer) during turbulence. I ended up holding my daughter for a long, long time once because the turbulence was so bad.

Just letting you know so you don't have the shock I had!

Archived