Taking furniture etc, back to UK

Guest the_zings

Guest the_zings

For those of you have already moved back home with furniture etc, do you have any recommendations for removals companies??? Are you able to pack you own furniture to keep costs down or is it compulsory for the removals company to pack and make an inventory in order to get it through customs?

We used Across the Ocean Shipping coming over, they offered us a price with professional packing and one without. We opted to load our own container the only downside was Insurance companies will not insure you if you pack it yourself.

A couple of small breakages nothing major though!

Guest YellowGecko

I don't know.. because we are packing ourselves and yet are insured by an independant company. No one's said we can't pack ourselves.

We're shipping our junk with Grace Removals.. don't know if they're nationwide or what, but so far, no complaints.

When are you off home, Mrs Zing? Bet you feel 100 times better today, eh?

Jo x

Guest the_zings

Feel a bit better now that I've got quotes etc, coming in but I wouldn't go so far as to say 100 times better....!

I read somewhere that if you pack yourself, they are more likely to do a more intensive search of your stuff at customs therefore slowing it down. Dose it make a huge difference in price if you pack yourself? Not sure I could be bothered with the hassle as we have 2 kids under the age of 3 running around our feet so would takin ages for us to pack! Might be worth considering tho' if it reducing price a lot....

Guest YellowGecko

Yeah was a huge difference to us, packing it up ourselves, $1000 or thereabouts. But then, we're not taking a whole household of effects with us. We're selling all furniture, in fact the largest piece coming with, is the baby's cot.

Hubby's just told me we are getting insurance for packing ourselves, but that it won't cover any breakages. Not like we're taking any crystal chandeliers though..lol. Suppose it means yer covered in case the boat sinks or anything's missing.

We got our insurance from Liverpool-based company Letton Percival, as they charge around one third to what the removalists seem to charge (LP charge 1.6% of the value of items). We heard of them from this forum as many others also insure with them.

Jo x

Guest the_zings

We are hoping to fit all our stuff into a 20ft container. We just shipped everything over in a 40 ft container and it only took up about a third of it. So we are hoping it should fit into a 20ft container! How much space are you hiring? I'm worried now that we won't be able to ake everything. I really don't want to sell our homely possessions!

Guest the_zings

I've had a quote from Over the Ocean for $7675 for a 20ft container plus they will ship any "overspill" for free up tp 100 cubic feet. AND they are willing to reserve that price for us till we move in Feb 2010 - not bad considering the current economic climate! Needless to say we have booked them and paid our deposit! Just need thye next 16 months to hurry up and pass:arghh::arghh:

Guest medwaymaiden

We are returning from New Zealand to UK and I would only ever use Allied Pickfords! Why? Because they are the only removal firm to my knowledge that have offices in UK and most countries abroad compared to another company here who although are cheaper are not having my furniture because every question I have asked and advice I have been given has been wrong!

Allied Pickfords every time!

Guest medwaymaiden

It's quite funny you have Crown removals by your message lol .... do you work for Crown by any chance. As I said, I would only use Allied Pickfords! Don't use Allied Movers. They may be cheaper but they advise that you can send your 20ft container back before you arrive in the country and that somebody else can take effect of your goods which is complete rubbish! Also, using Allied Movers, when I said my furniture would be arriving back four weeks before I do, they said oh take our word for it that you will not be charged a bond/penalty for extra storage! Yeah, right!

Guest Barry78
Can anyone give us the number for over the ocean removals?

I think the Zings may mean Across the Ocean Shipping which is 03 9642 4870

• 3 weeks later...

We moved back home (UK) in September and we used Grace Removers and i have to say that they have been great so far! Our belongings will be with us on 10th November.....it has taken all of 6 weeks ..... unlike when we sent it all to Aus it took 9 WEEKS.......They weren't the cheapest and not the dearest thou!

Guest yorkshirelass

Hey, just bought our own container, used a local shipping agent to ship it and got it picked up the other end to put into storage and it cost a total of $9000. If you can be bothered to do it yourself it works out so much cheaper. You can then sell your container in the UK for obout 1000 quid which makes it even cheaper. Its a good move if you are going back to the Uk totally skint like us!!!!!!

Hope we will find a bargain house and take advantage of the 3% mortgage interest rates!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest treesea

Unless you really like your furniture, I wouldn't think it is worth going to the cost of shipping it back to the UK. We bought much better furniture here than the stuff bought new that we had in Australia. Mostly at auctions, and sure, second hand, but 1920s to 1940s, solid wood, - beautiful pieces, for a song. We bought a leather suite in Oz for around $3,000, sold it cheap but picked up one here, in very good condition, better than the one we had in Oz after 5 years wear, for £130.

Archived