Backup fund for State Sponsorship (SA)

Guest Rover

I'm currently completing an application for State Sponsorship from the South Australia Govt.

At one stage they require proof that you have enough funds to survive for 6 months if you arrive without a job. The advice is that this figure should be A$25k plus a further A$5k for each dependent and that you need to have signed proof of this amount in a bank account.

Three questions on this:

i) does the A$5k figure still apply for children?

ii) at what subsequent stages through the application process do you still need to have proof of this sitting in an account somewhere - all the time?; just before take-off?; or is it never checked again

iii) does the account have to be in the name of the main applicant or can it be in the name of one of the other people on the form, or can it be in the name of another person not applying (eg. a family member).

If anyone has gone down this route and has any info or advice on this element of the sponsorship process than please let me know, as I dont particularly want to have to tie up this amount unused for the entire period of the application process, but at the same time do not want to blow the whole thing by not having it in the right place at the right time....

Hi we are doing the state sponserhip thingy visa for queensland, we to have to have that amount of money. Havn't got a clue were it will come from but hopefully in a year we will have it together. I'm not sure about how much you need for the younger ones, maybee best checking that one out with your agency:))) Good luck:)))

Briggy xxx:)))

Hi guys

We're really flapping now at the prospect of having to have that amount of money in the bank! On our queensland sponsorship application form it only asks for an estimate of funds, not proof or a minimum amount. Do they stipulate an amount further down the line? It will set us back ages if we have to save £12K

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We are finding it very difficult to find an answer for this one - as Oz House didnt know.& I've had no reply to an email I sent to the SA State address.

I've been in touch with one fellow poster on here and they reckon that all we need to do is fill in the basic form listing how much we've got, tick the box marked "I will have this money.." and get that signed by a notary and that will be enough....which would be great.

Can anyone else who has successfully won State Sponsorship confirm that this is all we need to do as it seems far too simple (and we dont want to waste more time by them sending the form back for us to get signed at a later date)....

Guest scottish crew
We are finding it very difficult to find an answer for this one - as Oz House didnt know.& I've had no reply to an email I sent to the SA State address.

I've been in touch with one fellow poster on here and they reckon that all we need to do is fill in the basic form listing how much we've got, tick the box marked "I will have this money.." and get that signed by a notary and that will be enough....which would be great.

Can anyone else who has successfully won State Sponsorship confirm that this is all we need to do as it seems far too simple (and we dont want to waste more time by them sending the form back for us to get signed at a later date)....

hi we too received state sponsorship,but from WA govt.just informed them of funds we would have from sale of house .application was submitted thru agent so dont really know if they added any info but we were successful anyway. rules may differ from state to state i'm not too sure but i hope this helps.

Hi there yes it would be nice if we dont need to save that ammount of money, cos everything is a struggle for us at the moment. So would be good if someone could give us some sound advise.

Anyone PLEASE!!!

Cheers Briggy xxx:))))

Guest Hannah

Hi Rover,

We got WA state sponsorship. We told them we were planning on taking 125K from the sale of our house. They then put this figure as as one of the conditions of the sponsorship. We are not now seeling our house so i asked the WA senior immigration officer if this would cause us a problem and she said no not at all. They dont want 'proof' that you have sufficient funds, they just want you to be self sufficient. I wouldnt worry at all.

I hope this helps?

Steve n Hannah x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

The reason why the States ask about this question is because the only income support type of State Benefit that you would be able to claim during your first two years in Australia would be Special Benefit:

A - Z Directory

To be eligible for Special Benefit, there needs to be a calamity which is completely outside your own control. Not being able to find work that you are prepared to do and can survive on would not be enough to enable a new migrant to claim Special Benefit.

Therefore the State tries to warn you, indicrectly, that you will need sufficient funds to be able to support yourselves if you are unable to find work quickkly.

They are not particularly interested in whether or not you heed the warning. They are more interested in being able to prove that you cannot say you were not warned, and trying to blame your predicament on the relevant State Government.

Also, iff you were to seek Special Benefit Centrelink would look at the visa and would ask the State Government to reveal what you said about assets, funds etc at the time of making the application for sponsorship. Centrelink are the people who would be asking you to prove where the funds are, not the State Government.

Best wishes

Gill

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent - thanks for all the answers to this thread & to everyone who replied to the PMs I sent them.

We have got the declaration signed and are ready to submit the sponsorship application tonight, so hopefully a result by the end of November

Archived