Diesel Mechanics

Guest mitch&carm

Guest mitch&carm

Hi there, just fishing to see if there are any Diesel Mechanics on here who are in the process of going over, how did you get your tools over? Can you guys shed some light on working conditions etc.

Thanks

Mitch

Hiya we arrived early november on hubbys occupation of diesel fitter/mechanic.We sent his tools in September and they arrived just before xmas but hubby now says he could have got most things here pretty cheap .As customs are strict we bought new tool chests etc that are sooo cheap here ,but heh ,we are here and lovin it.He got 4 or 5 job offers but found it best to approach companys in person rather than via email etc ,he enjoys the job but says its very different here due to lack of diesel cars .the work is mainly older type engines ,4wd,heavy plant etc. I dont think a quality mechanic will stryggle gettin a job ,there are certain companys advertisin week in week out with no success,the wages go from $18 to $25 pr hr,were are you heading? if i can help anymore just ask?

Cal x

Guest mitch&carm

Hi Cal, thanks for the reply. I am a Truck Mechanic and have got a job offer. How much did it cost to send over his toolbox? If you dont mind me asking. 3 months to get there :shock: :shock: :shock: Thats an age !!!!! Where are you guys?

Thanks

Mitch

Hiya we sent 19boxses out with various bits n bobs as well as his tools

(,they have to be pretty clean ) we used crown relocations in leeds they were very good cant remember exact figure but if you have a search i will have posted it somewere.We are south of bris behind the Gold Coast in a place called Jimboomba ,we love it as it has everything we want either here or within 35min.Where is your job offer? when are you lookin at leaving ? send us a pm if you like

Cal x

Guest mitch&carm

Hi Cal, we were looking at Perth and the offer is in Perth. Done a bit of research and it seems really nice. Will do a search for the price of shipping. We dont have any furniture we want to take with but a few other things, will check out Crown. What sort of Visa did you get?

Thanks

Mitch

Hiya we came on skilled ind 136 ,so we can if we want live anywere but from what we have seen of Brisbane so far we are stayin put.I have distant family in Perth but as a city it seemed so far from everywere else.Crown were really on the ball and gave us excellent service and everything arrived intact.We are on wanted down under on the 7th ,catch it if you can as gary goes work for a few days and it may give you an idea of what to expect.

Cal x

Guest oz migration

HI

Just to add about work there is an abundance (huge demand) in and around the mines on heavy plant in States such as Queensland, WA, SA (Gladstone, Mackay, Mt Isa) pay the big bucks and good bonus retention schemes - some great companies that are employers of choice.

If anyone is interested or looking (need help) for this type of work let me know - or go to our website (http://www.e-ra.biz) and click on 'Others - Professions in demand" in the main menu and leave your details - happy to help you locate the right State/Region/company.

Kind regards

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Guest john 02

Hi everyone, just a note to say I have applied numerous times for diesel mechanic jobs in the Brisbane area. What depresses me is that no one replies? I have had no response from any application.

We are coming over in July and it doesn't give me much hope! I was under the impression that there is a skills shortage? :(

Any advice would be welcome

All the best

John.

Hiya dont get disheartened when in the UK we too got no response from contacting numerous companys ,however when we arrived hubby personally visted 5 or 6 garages selling himself and was offered work at nearly them all leaving him a choice of were to work ,all offer a similar wage of between $18 and $20 pr hour to start.Believe me if you can do the job you will pee getting employment ,there is a company in Rocklea area of Bris who have been advertising since we arrived in November and possibly even before that ,take a look at http://www.alljobs.com .au or alternatively get a list of garages within travellin distance of were youd like to settle and go visit them when on your reccie,hope this helps

Cal x

Archived