What brom brom to buy had a reality check.

Guest kev and del

Guest kev and del

Hi wondered if anyone can help. We have at the moment a Nissan Navara twin cab, but have realised that its much more expensive to buy the equivalent in oz. Can anyone help on buying something similar. Our budget is up to about $10,000. We only want one vehicle and I want an enclosed back for my tools as I am a tradesman.We have been told to look at at a Holden

Soooooooo excited leaving for Brisbane on 16.02.09.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, You should have a look on carsales.com.au or carpoint.com.au, they are the equivelant of our Autotrader, you can put in your max budget then see whats on offer, i was never off these sites before we got here, realised just how much more expensive cars are over here so thats why we have imported our car, you should maybe do your sums and see if it is worthwhile importing yours, we will be saving about $10000 on the same car over here, not as difficult as you might think to import it.

Our car has literally just arrived today so hopefully we will be able to collect it in about a week or so's time, so if you need any info on maybe going about exporting/importing yours i'd be glad to help.

Paul

Guest country gal

how you going? if you have a look on www.drive.com.au there should be looks to chose from. my ute cost me $3500 its a good car never had any trouble its an old holden (1992) i would rather that than get in debt by shipping a car over here or takin a hp agreement. old utes never die lol. most guys here have older utes for work and they bolt a steel tool box into the tray at the back. hope this helps.

Sorry to go OT a little, but I was looking at the drive.com.au site, having a nosey at Civic Type Rs and they seem about the same price (or there abouts) as here 2nd hand. What I did notice, is that the much older cars, say 10 years old are ridiculously priced though.

Anyone know what car insurance prices are like over there?

Hi, You should have a look on carsales.com.au or carpoint.com.au, they are the equivelant of our Autotrader, you can put in your max budget then see whats on offer, i was never off these sites before we got here, realised just how much more expensive cars are over here so thats why we have imported our car, you should maybe do your sums and see if it is worthwhile importing yours, we will be saving about $10000 on the same car over here, not as difficult as you might think to import it.

Our car has literally just arrived today so hopefully we will be able to collect it in about a week or so's time, so if you need any info on maybe going about exporting/importing yours i'd be glad to help.

Paul

Hi Paul, We have also looked at the prices in Oz and found them to be expensive and thinking of importing our car, my oh has imported many cars from the USA and Canada to the UK and found it to be very easy, but some other forums say it's not worth it, I have a year old Vectra and was quoted £1200 on a ro/ro ship, 10% import tax and 10% GST which would also save me about $10000, which shipping company did you use and how much for inspection and registration ?.

Tess xx

Guest christel

Hi..guys you need to be aware of somethings, again all i see is the Pounds signs appearing here..you need to convert everything into Dollars :)....

A vauxhall vectra 2007 in the uk would be retailing around GBP10,000 plus GBP1,000 for import tax, plus GBP1,000 for GST, plus GBP1,200 ro/ro making a total of GBP13,200

A holden vectra 2007 in aus would be retailing around $20,000

GBP conversion of GBP13,200 to Aus dollars is $28,000 so its cost you an extra AUS $8,000

Maybe your better option would be to sell your vauxhall vectra in england privately at GBP2000 less giving you GBP8,000 (AUS $17,000) so you bring that with you...you are not paying all the other fees amounting to GBP3,200 (AUS $7,000), so if you spend AUS $3,000 you are actually AUS $4,000 better off and you have a car the moment you land..as opposed to loosing prior to your departure, or it not arriving for 8 weeks after you landed...also, no one has mentioned the fee to the licencing department that has to approve its standards here when it lands so thats another cost or savings if you bought a car here..x

thanks paul but it dozent look if its going to be possible to take our vectra as it says on vic roads web site says that you must have had your car 12 months before you can ship on a 457 viza and unfortunatly we have only had it 6 months!!! very down hearted as we thought that we were saving money but thanks for replying tess xx

To anyone thinking of importing their car there are advantages and disadvantages in doing so, firstly the legwork involved is quite expansive, secondly you have to do your sums to see if it financialy viable for you to do so, and finally to cut a long post short it really is up to the individual and their circumstances, i personally in the current car market in the UK would have got peanuts for my car a BMW X5 4.4i, so i did my sums got prices for everything inc customs costs,compliance,govt stamp, rego every last little thing and when all is done i will be saving app $10/15 k on the equivelant car here, and at least i know the car i know it has been looked after and at the end of the day it is 1 less thing on the ever increasing list of things to buy, there are quite a few posts on here with people warning of the pitfalls of importing your car, but from my experiance it has not been difficult and would happily advise anyone that after doing their sums and if financially viable to seriously consider bringing their car over.

If anyone is thinking of bringing their car i would be more than happy to answer any questions, provide a detailed list of all costs involved and help in anyway i can, i know from doing my homework before i started the process that there are many questions that you could do with answers to, so i would be happy to help.

Paul

Archived