NSW Wollongong area - Need advice PLEASE :)

Guest LHD

Hi, this is my first time posting :unsure: I have so much going around my head, loads of questions, concerns..... I'm a bit of a mental mess actually lol..... Hoping for some help from those in the know.

This will probably be long, so sorry!

My husband and I have been talking about the prospect of moving to Australia for the past 6 years or so, but have never looked into it due to the normal things.... moving from family etc.

Recently I have made a new friend who is from Corrimal, Wollongong. She is here (UK) for the next few years with her husbands work.

She speaks so well of the Wollongong area.... great for families, schools, active lifestyle etc.... The kind of things that every mum wants for her kids upbringing and future. I have two boys aged 4 and 8 yrs.

So it prompted me to start looking into things, trying to decide if it would be better for the boys, check out our options and see if a move to Australia was even a realistic possibility for our family.

My husband and I think that it is worth looking into some more, so we are booked to attend Australian Expo '08 in London next month, which I think is mainly geared around recruitment and migration.

I want to check with you guys who live in that area what you think.... your expat perception of the area might be very different to someone who was born there - if you know what I mean.

So far I have been told that the schools are brilliant. Wollongong has the best Uni in Aus.

Weather is great.... No destructive weather like cyclones.... do get some crazy loud storms and very heavy rain at times tho.

Life style is great. Kids are encouraged to be active in sports. Beaches are safe, life guarded and clean. Lovely parks. Close to good shopping.

Bugs (ie spiders) aren't an issue... except flies and mozzies are a pain.

Not likely to bump into a croc on the beach....

My husband is a Gas Fitter, which is on the list so it would be him that applies.... We are just worried that there will be no gas work for him in NSW. Lol Now I am hoping that someone here will say 'I live in wollongong and my husband is a gas fitter too... there is lots of work' Lol

I am a Beautician, Nail Technician and Educator in Nail Services. None of these skills are on 'the list' so although I am pretty sure I could pick up work easily if we moved over, I can't be the applicant.

I would be so grateful for your advice.

:wubclub:

Hi and welcome to PIO

We are not in Wollongong but have visited many many times and actually have friends who live in Shellharbour. It really is a lovely place and we even planned to move there ourselves but for reasons that would take me into another thread we came to Melbourne!!

The person that would be best to speak with regarding Wollongong is skippy who does come on this site....I am sure that he will see this thread however why not also send him a pm (personal message) and he will help you all he can!!

Good luck

Deb xx

Guest OldiesRUs

Hello and welcome to PIO.

Yep, Skippy is your man! Also have a look at Illawara region,what is it like? You will find loads of information on there and pictures that Skippy has posted. He is our guru of all things Illawarra.

He is about to come out of winter hibernation so I'm sure he will pick up this thread pretty soon and respond.

I haven't actually been into Wollongong itself, apart from the train station, but the surrounding areas are so beautiful. My son lives in Kiama which is just the best place ever.

Good luck with it all.

Jean:wubclub:

I agree with everything the woman from Corrimal has told you, we lived there for 2 years when we first arrived in 1970, look at the photo's of this place on the Illawarra thread.

A lot of people here are now on gas, so there must be jobs fitting heating & cooking facilities etc, AGL is the main supplier as far as I know, but look in the Wollongong yellow pages.

hi there, ive just came across your post , myself and family are also looking in to moving to wollongong area, we to have all the same questions you have , my other half is a electricianso we need to look at work there for him.

I must say i am quite concerned about the weather over there i hear they get quite a lot of rain.

we are also looking at adelaide we cant make our minds up jet so we have booked flights for next april to go vist , both adelaide and wollongong, so i will let you know what we find out about the place, i do agree that wollongong/illawarra areas look fab.

hope more people can reply to your thread as it would be great to hear from people who have moved there.

will keep in touch

Have to confess that I am finding this so hard.

We have a wonderful life here.... live in a brilliant area, good schools, lovely house, lovely friends. We are a happy little family.

We don't own a property and where we live we will never be able to.... flats here are about £300k! But we are content with our life - owning a property isn't the be all and end all.

I honestly think that unless we suddenly became rich, our life is as good as it could be in the UK.... more dosh would just improve lifestyle - more time together, kids could join sport clubs and be more active etc (all things life in the gong would offer!).

But leaving here would be a 'no going back' situation for us. Something we have done many times before, but only within England .... only difference this time is our life is the best it's been and is likely to get over here.

The reason we are seriously considering this is that my husband and I are worried about the future - When our sons are grown (in 8+ yrs) .... We can't see a decent future for them here in the UK.

I'm not used to worrying. If I think something isn't right, I change it. I always go with my gut, my gut has so far always been right - and I've had to make some pretty hard choices so far.... Choices that have been very unpopular with the extended family.

My gut tells me this is the right thing for 'my' family..... but everything else says it's really wrong!

We already live 2 1/2 hrs from any family... not quite 24hrs lol, but we are used to not seeing them very often.

Our families aren't well off, so we know that the prospect of yearly visits is not likely..... so we would effectively be saying bye bye to the family.

If anyone became sick, had a baby etc, I can't imagine we would be able to pop back here.

My family think that it is important that my sons live near their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, to ensure a good life........ I don't.

I never had extended family when I was a kid, my mum dad and siblings were all had and all I needed.

I think that they should be in a location that offers them the best and so long as that is backed up by a secure home life, they will be happy. I was. So were my brother and sister.

I would miss my family.... we are close.... but my gut says to do what I think is best for the boys. Me and Stuart would be happy wherever we were, as long as we have each other, the boys and a job we are cool!

I know I sound like I am panicing.... I probably am. There is a reason though.

Next month we are going to the aus expo in London. There will be prospective employers there... what if my husband was offered work?....... Not likely I know, but what if?

My husband is 100% in wanting to go.... I am too... and then I panic lol.

My family would be devastated. It would break my mum's heart.

I am finding it tough.

Lol - I must sound like a maniac

Guest OldiesRUs

You don't sound like a maniac at all. You are going through what every other person who emigrates is going through.

Can't offer advice, each to his own and all that, but if your family love you as much as you say, they will let you go. It will hurt like hell - take this from a mother/grandmother who has gone through it - but they will see why you are doing it and support you.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I am sure your decision will be the right one.

Jean:wubclub:

LHD

May I strongly suggest you take a Recce visit before making your mind up. It is easy to say yes to australia but quite another to actually do it. However...It is a big commitment, It is only now that Ive realised how big a thing our move will be. If there is a way for you and your family to try oz for a year or so to see if that works for you then maybe that would be a better solution for you.

It seems to me on all the posts Ive read on this forum of people returning to the UK leaving family behind is the one of the main reasons.

Having said that. I understand your reasons for leaving...as I share your thoughts too. What ever you decide, im sure you will find loads of support on here.

Take care.

rvn:v_SPIN:

Hello LHD & Family, welcome to Poms in Oz! I totally understand what you are going through. My hubby and I have now been in oz for 2 years and in Illawarra, Shellharbour area since November. We love it here and in my opinion, this area has everything that a person comes to Aus for!

Like you, we had a lovely, comfortable life in UK, as you say as good as it was gonna get, but we wanted something more. Even if we had won the lottery in UK it couldn't buy us the weather and lifestyle we knew we could get from coming to Aus. We came out on a visit in 2001 to see friends that had emigrated to Perth, we spent 3 days in Sydney and totally fell in love with the place! Since then we were on a mission to get a visa (which took us 5 years, coz neither of our jobs was on the list!) but we finally got here and we love it. The hardest thing of all is leaving family but it's part and parcel. My parents don't have much cash but they have managed to come out and see us twice now. If and when you do get settled into life in Aus, you will find that you don't spend cash like you do in the UK on trying to keep with whatever is the latest 'must have' etc and a friend of ours actually pays for his parents to come out here instead of the 4 of them flying back to the UK, as it's cheaper that way and the relatives have a much better holiday coming here!

My hubby and I never wanted to have kids in the UK for the same reasons you say and that didnt go down well with my mum. A big thing i have noticed here is that it is much more child friendly, and there are play areas and outdoor games areas everywhere for kids. It is a much more outdoor and active lifestyle here and this is one of the reasons we came here. It was no going back for us as well and as much as i miss my family and friends, we have no regrets whatsoever. Do as much research as possible, Illawarra thread is a great place to start! and follow your heart! Good luck!

Have to confess that I am finding this so hard.

We have a wonderful life here.... live in a brilliant area, good schools, lovely house, lovely friends. We are a happy little family.

Why change it for the unknown LHD, one thing to remember, some dreams turn into nightmares, we came here for the sunshine and to live close to the sea, but the lack of family & old friends really got to me after the honeymoon period was over and I turned to drinking heavily to escape the feelings.

I'm glad we didn't have the money to return at the time, because my life has been a dream come true, I've been back to the UK once in 38 years, but don't want to return anymore, it made me realise why we had come in the first place.

Thanks everyone for your replies, you are all so helpful.

The reason that we are considering leaving for the unknown is because although the present is fine, my husband and I want our sons to have the best future possible. We are not convinced that the future looks bright for young men in the UK.... I can imagine that by the time our sons are entering 'the real world', they will be living in a controlling, big brother style country or one where they are in constant danger because everything has gone to pot!

At the moment I think we are somewhere in between... at some point it will have to sway one way or the other and I don't want either for my sons.

My husband works all the hours God sends, often leaving the house at 5am and not returning until 6pm... which is fine, he has always been a hard worker and expects that he would still have to work hard in Oz. What does bother him is that when he isn't working, it is near impossible to spend quality time as a family without spending a fortune. Just to take the kids swimming costs the earth..... going to the park is a nightmare - either too wet to safely use equipment, dog poop everywhere :arghh:, sometimes even glass in play areas....... hardly an ideal recipe for quality time.

I would say that is our only gripe. Not enough to make us move to another country - that would be mad :twitcy:

Like I said, we are happy here. We do have it as good as we are ever going to have it in the UK. I am sure that Stu and I would be fine in Oz. I am close with my family, but don't feel that I would fall apart. I can adapt easily and have good coping skills - they have been tested lol. Stuart and I are so solid that wherever we were, we would be fine - we just need each other and our boys.

My family probably won't cope with it very well, which I know would be tough... I already feel bad! But at the end of the day I have to think of 'my' family and what is best for them.

We are not looking at this to 'run away' from anything. We are just not sure that in 10 yrs time, this country will offer our sons the future that we want for them as men.

I'm not sure if Australia can offer them anything different, which is why I am on here - searching for the 'reality'. I know that no one ever knows what the future holds, but quite often it is possible to sense where things are heading...

I don't feel like the UK has an interest in investing in the future good of our children. From what I have found, Oz does..... but does it? That is what I need to know - If in the long term, do my children have a better chance of a happy secure adulthood here or there?

I love my family, I love my life.... but more that anything I love my babies and I will happily move to the other side of the world if it meant a better future for them.

Hi LHD!!!

Well, you sound just like i did 6 months ago!!

We're moving to the illawarra area too, in 2010. ALthough we're not moving to wollongong itself, as we weren't that impressed with it when we visited in June, but we are moving to Kiama which is about 45 mins south of Corrimal.

You might like to read some of my blog from when we went on a reccee in june, it also has some pictures of the areas. We did go to the Sunshine coast first, so skip the first bit if you like. http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/blogs/megss/559-our-recce.html

Also if you have any other questions about how we liked it when we visited, feel free to PM me. I have 3 step kids who are moving too (with thier mum and step dad) so can totally sypathise with how you are feeling regarding the kids future.

Meg

xxx

Wow Megss, what a great read. I wish there was more!

Your pictures were lovely. It looks like the best bits of England, plus extras..... perfect.

Thanks for sharing that with me.

Hi all, just wondering if any one knows what the weather will be like in wollongong april time, we are going next april for our reckie, just not sure as what to pack clothes wise.

Also any places you think we should avoid / must see, we are a family of four two girls aged 11 and 2 we are looking for nice houses close to a nice beach, good schools / shops ect and about a hour away from sydney.

We only have about four days to get to know the area so any advice or tips would be great, whats it like to drive in wollongong area?

we are driving down from Adelaide to sydney as we cant make our minds up yet so we want to visit both places to see what pulls at our heart strings the most, although what ive read on here wollongong takes some beating.

Hi Meggs, thankyou for your blog, it was fantastic. I've narrowed my options down to avoca beach (central coast) or kiama. did you visit avoca beach or terrigal area? any info would be great. thanks for all the photos. beautiful area.Wendy :notworthy:

Hello,Just to re-assure your decision. We left the U.K to go to S.A, where the wife's folks live. It was good at the time, but has got worse since. You daren't walk along the beach without looking over your shoulder. Our son got mugged at knife point, so that is why we had to get out. My mother is pleased we are out of there, as we are a lot happier and better of financially since we came to Oz.

We are up in Townsville, by the barrier reef. Only been here 4 months, but they do get cyclones,apparently. Lots of fly's as well.

They are crying out for electricians over here, so he won't have a problem.

Good luck.

Hi Meggs, thankyou for your blog, it was fantastic. I've narrowed my options down to avoca beach (central coast) or kiama. did you visit avoca beach or terrigal area? any info would be great. thanks for all the photos. beautiful area.Wendy :notworthy:

Hi Wendy, no we were only there for such a short time we only got to look around the illawarra region. However i would have thought anywhere just north of sydney like that would be lovely.

We are limited to where we can go by my husbands exwife and her new husband (who has his kids and is moving to oz also) as they have specified the wollongong area. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions from a 'perspective residents point of view', but if you have any more in depth questions Skippy is the guy to ask!!

x

HI Meggs, good luck with your visa and move, who knows maybe one day our paths might cross in kiama. It does look gorgeous and an all round kind of place to live. Wendy:smile:

Guest Irishhappymammy

LHD I am in exactly the same situation. Only we are not married. We live in Ireland in a lovely village surrounded by countryside and we have a beautiful 4 bed detached home. Life is great, only my partner keep telling me the construction industry is drying up and its great now but what if it all goes belly up. He works nearly 7 days a week and we rarely get time together as a family.

So we basically want to go for the same reasons as you.

I want a nice area (just like ramsey street!) near local schools etc.

One minute im thinking its going to be great and then I get a lump in my throat even thinking about leaving my mother whom im very close to. My friends and family. I just can see myself plonked in the middle of the bush with my two girls without anybody to talk to!! :unsure:

Im terrified of spiders and snakes and basically anything that crawls or creeps!! Im not even a sun lover. I love nothing more than lighting the fire and snuggling all up on the couch! But my partner wants to go and thats it. I want my girls to have a future and we want to save money for them aswell. I am only 27 and we want more children.

So i hear you girl. Its just that if we dont go then when the kids are older they will leave us to go anyway. Im gonna check out the Wollongong area it seems to tick most of my boxes. :cute:

Just a question for skippy. Have you been to Avoca Beach or Terrigal? I've narrowed my search down to Avoca Beach or Kiama. What are your thoughts. cheers skippy, Wendy.

We just spent the weekend driving around the Gong and Kiama and down to Jervis bay, absolutley wonderful We came out here in April and live in Manly as its a great beach and suburb and easy to get to the CBD via ferry and jetcat. If the commute was shorter we would move to the Illawarra but unfortunately I want as much time at home as possible so we can all enjoy our time here. I have only been to Terrigal and Avoca Beach once but thats also a nice area, in fact all that area up to Newcastle is quite nice.

As for leaving parents behind, I am not in the slightest bit bothered as I am not close to my family but my wife is, her mother really laid the guilt trip on but her nan said 'go for it, its a good chance and if your mother can't see that then thats her problem!'.

Family guilt is a concept I find difficult to grasp and it reminds me of catholicism!!! Your family is your most important thing in your life, by that I mean you and your other half and your kids, do what is best for you and yours, let others have the negative attitude!

Hi everyone, LHD, I can really relate to your situation. I have 2 sons also (5 and 7) and I worry about their future too, so we're gonna give it a go. We'll settle when we find the right place. I really related to your description of doing the right thing for your babies. Me too. Good luck x.:smile:

Thanks for your reply Paddy0, what do you reckon, Manly, Kiama or Avoca/Terrigal, which would you pick? I've only been to Manly, about ten years ago now, but loved the vibe. It's just too expensive to buy a house there. Or it seems that way on realestate. If you had to pick Kiama or Avoca/Terrigal which would it be? Or would it be somewhere else nearby? Would really appreciate your comments from someone who has been to all areas. I agree about the family. My husband and kids come first.:smile:

Archived