Recommend a Bank?

Guest Gary Lucas

Guest Gary Lucas

Can anyone recommend a good bank for someone moving to the Sydney area? We're going across in January on a 4 year temporary visa with a view to making it a 'for ever' move! Read a piece a few day's ago on the horrendous bank charges and just wondered whether some banks were better/worse than others?

All answers I've had thus far on this forum have made damn good sense....so bring it on!!

Guest JohnKelly

Take your pick mate, WESTPAC, National Australia Bank, Commonwealth, ANZ, they are the big ones, and then there are numerous smaller ones. Not to be forgotten are the Credit Unions.

The thing to remember is that the banking industry is very competitive and the key word is negotiate, negotiate, negotiate and this particularly applies when you are seeking a Housing Loan.

• 4 months later...
Guest ironmaggi

the charges aren't horrendous...they're just there which we're not used to...you just have to change your way of thinking/banking a bit! Good Luck!

Guest ABCDiamond
Can anyone recommend a good bank for someone moving to the Sydney area? We're going across in January on a 4 year temporary visa with a view to making it a 'for ever' move! Read a piece a few day's ago on the horrendous bank charges and just wondered whether some banks were better/worse than others?

All answers I've had thus far on this forum have made damn good sense....so bring it on!!

The ANZ Access Advantage Account at $5 per month is pretty good, for unlimited transactions.

But HSBC Online saver can be better, if you do 5 or less ATM transactions per month, as it is free of charges. With this you can use any Post Office free of charge aswell.

Note: When banks say unlimited transactions, they DO NOT include, using a competitor banks ATM. As far as I am aware, only the HSBC allow you to use a competitors ATM free of charge, and only for 5 per month.

If you can find a HSBC ATM, and have a HSBC card, then all the use of them is free.

• 2 months later...
Guest mickroo

Hi all

Visa granted just got to sell the house then off to Brisbane!!

I have a HSBC bank account in the UK the question is, can I open a HSBC account in Oz before I go so I can transfer some money between the accounts so I have funds waiting?

Regards

Mick

Guest ABCDiamond
Hi all

Visa granted just got to sell the house then off to Brisbane!!

I have a HSBC bank account in the UK the question is, can I open a HSBC account in Oz before I go so I can transfer some money between the accounts so I have funds waiting?

Regards

Mick

Yes, you can.

HSBC Bank, International Branch Tel: 020 7991 7278 (Local High Street Branches may not know about it) It takes a few weeks to sort out.

The account I have is http://www.hsbc.com.au/personal/accounts/osa.html

When I transferred between the two, it cost me £10, and I pushed for a good exchange rate. Do not just accept the first rate they offer.

Guest mickroo

Thaks for the info ABCDiamond!

I will get in touch with HSBC next week.

I am thinking of using HiFX for my money transfers to Oz any comments on this?

Regards

Mickroo

Guest ABCDiamond
Thaks for the info ABCDiamond!

I will get in touch with HSBC next week.

I am thinking of using HiFX for my money transfers to Oz any comments on this?

Regards

Mickroo

I've heard good things about them.

Like many things though, most options will try to beat the other.

I would suggest asking what their best rate is at a particular time, then see what someone else will do, eg: HSBC UK. Once you can compare exactly, it makes the choice easier, and you have no "what ifs" ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JoandMatt

so there is HSBC in Uk and in Oz? are there any other banks like that? Does anyone know if they take into account your credit rating from UK HSBC when opening one in OZ?

JO :)

Archived