The facts about Spiders!!

LisaR

Hi all

Some useful info about Ozzie Spiders (link below)

I like this bit..............

"But there is no need to panic. Nobody has died from a Sydney Funnel-web Spider bite since an antivenom was introduced in 1980"

Australian Spiders, Venomous Redback Spider, Poisonous Funnel Web Spider

Lisa:chatterbox:

Quite a few people probably have been killed by spider bites since then but the cause of death has have been mistaken as something else. For example if the venom caused a heart attack or stroke the doctor might think it was just that and did'nt know the patient was bitten by a spider and the venom caused it.

People may not think it but spiders are our friends in Aus as they eat the mossies and the flies. I like to see them around my verandas for that reason. We have lived here a long time and I am the only one who has been bitten and it was one of those ones which made me have an ulcer on my arm but antibiotics fixed it. Love the huntsmen and when they come in the house we are always careful to remove them without hurting them.

Red backs live in dark places and have very untidy webs and they are easily spotted with the large red dot on their back. I know we have them in the worm farm in the wood pile and in the shed at the moment.

smxtra.png

that is a huge releif, i have to say i was a bit worried, as the one who removes spiders in our house id be the one bitten if anyone was. but despite the heebie jeebies im feeling a lot more positive about it now.

now do they have the same comforting info about snakes... LOL

I have seen two snakes in 30 plus years, one in our garden and one in the bush. Those are the ones I came close to.

I have seen others up in the Kimberly where they get run over and in QLD they have the pythons around.

Snakes will get out of your way and they are a protected species. If they did not have a lot of snakes in the tropics there would be a lot more rats around. So they serve a purpose.

The western suburbs of Melbourne seems to have a lot of snakes around I think its because its rocky over there. They are around though and as long as I do not see them that's fine with me as I freak.

:smile:

Guest Brickie
They are around though and as long as I do not see them that's fine with me as I freak.

What do you think the snakes do when the see monkey men, usually armed with a shovel?.......:biglaugh:

that is a huge releif, i have to say i was a bit worried, as the one who removes spiders in our house id be the one bitten if anyone was. but despite the heebie jeebies im feeling a lot more positive about it now.

now do they have the same comforting info about snakes... LOL

Australia has the most deadly snake in the world the Taipan snake. They call it the 3 second snake becasue if your bitten you have 3 seconds to live.

Archived