moving to melbourne

Guest lady vsters

Guest lady vsters

I am looking to move to melbourne in April with my two kids aged 7 and 8. I will be working in the City centre. I am not sure of the best area to live !!!!

I have a budget of around $300 per month pref 4 bdr as I am looking to get an au pair or nanny to help with childcare. Also looking for about half an hour or so travel time with good amenities etc can anyone help????/

• 2 years later...

Hi Lady Vsters

$300 can be enough, it depends where you look. We are in Lara and are paying $220/week for a 3 bed house on a really big plot. OH gets the train to CBD everyday and it takes about 45 mins. We have everything we need (including really good schools) on our doorstep and the kids are loving it.

Emma

Guest The Pom Queen
I am looking to move to melbourne in April with my two kids aged 7 and 8. I will be working in the City centre. I am not sure of the best area to live !!!!

I have a budget of around $300 per month pref 4 bdr as I am looking to get an au pair or nanny to help with childcare. Also looking for about half an hour or so travel time with good amenities etc can anyone help????/

Hi there

Unfortunately $300 a month will not get you a 4 bed house near the city. Rentals are quite expensive in Melbourne and the closer to the city you are the more money it is going to cost. If it was $300 a week then you can find a rental for that, however it would not be in the CBD and you would have to look a little further a field.

Kate:wubclub:

Guest YellowGecko

Assuming you meant $300 per week (not a month) you will probably have to live in Ballarat (45 mins out of Melb) to find accomodation that cheap! Especially 4 bedrooms. Ballarat is lovely BTW. Very cold in winter though.

Outer eastern is nicest imo, you could prob get something from Doncaster - Ringwood or thereabouts for that much - go to www.realestate.com.au and have a look around to get a feel - i think you can show search results on a map and then maybe have another page up so you can google the suburb and see if you like it! Or just go for a drive out that way and see what you think - if you're looking at train lines either the Belgrave / Lilydale line or the one that goes out toward Glen Waverley is good! Box Hill isn't that nice an area but is surrounded by nice suburbs like Mont Albert, Surrey Hills and Blackburn and it has excellent transport links into the city.

Archived