Buderim & Surrounds

Guest londonderry

Guest londonderry

Hi! Does anyone live in, or know much about, Buderim and Twin Waters areas? Is it a safe area in which to live - without wishing to sound snobbish (!) we don't want to move from English yob culture to find an Aussie yob culture! We have a 12 year old and 7 year old and would be looking to move in 3-4 years time. Also, how about the climate - is it true they get a lot of rain? Thanks!

They are both lovely areas. That's where I'm heading. I love the area. There are some previous threads (maybe under 'sunshine coast') that may help you if you click on search at the top of the page.

They do get some rain, and when it rains it really rains but most of time, summer and winter, it's lovely.

By replying this should bump up your thread and hopefully some of the many that are already there will give you lots more info. (They'll all be in bed just now! lol)

Best Wishes,

LizG

Guest bernie

Hi my friend lives in Palmwoods and she mentioned Bunderim to me when I asked her for areas (we are heading this way too), She is quite posh too!! I think the schools are good here too. We have a 11 and 6 year old and keen on this side of the Sunshine Coast, although we haven't been yet (what are we doing :swoon:!).

Can't wait to get there. Bernie

Guest londonderry

Hi Bernie

Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear your posh friend likes Buderim!!! Good to hear that schools are good, too. We are hoping to do a trip Christmas 09 to take a look along the Coast. It looks as though you have finalised everything and are ready to go? Good luck!

Jane

Hi! Does anyone live in, or know much about, Buderim and Twin Waters areas? Is it a safe area in which to live - without wishing to sound snobbish (!) we don't want to move from English yob culture to find an Aussie yob culture! We have a 12 year old and 7 year old and would be looking to move in 3-4 years time. Also, how about the climate - is it true they get a lot of rain? Thanks!

Hi Jane,

I have an Aussie friend who lives in Buderim and she absolutely loves it. She's convinced me that I should live there too! As a result I'm off for a reccie in October, and providing Perth doesn't seduce me, I'll be moving there in february. Mooloolaba is also an excellent location.

Tony x

Guest Mantadiver

Hi, Google just alerted me to your post via my alert for Buderim. We are in the process of moving to an acreage property just outside Buderim. It's a fabulous area that we consider to be safe and as far as we have experienced "yob free".

I believe it rains on a fairly regular basis which is why the area appears relatively lush and green. Not a problem when it just does it's thing and reverts to the sunny norm without the 24/7/365 100% cloud cover we are used to in the UK.

With four kids, (9, 7, 2, 5mths) having a safe environment with a good selection of high quality schools was very important to us. We've searched extensively around Australia from West to East coast and for us the Sunshine Coast ticks all the boxes.

Guest londonderry

Brilliant to hear! Thanks, Tony! Have a great time in October and maybe you can put a post on PIO to say how you found it?

Jane

Guest londonderry

Thanks, Mantadiver! Sounds wonderful! We currently live on a farm, so would also be looking for a more rural property (especially as our 12 year old is mad about horses!). What are prices like?

Guest Mantadiver

[ What are prices like? ]

That's a tough one to answer. Prices have eased in the current climate but remain strong for the three key areas people seem to look for, namely: Tee, Tree & Sea. (Golf course, acreage & waterfront, as described to me by a local estate agent!).

We've been on the mailing list for years with Ken Guy Real Estate (Ken Guy Real Estate - Find Real Estate in Buderim | Maroochydore | Mooloolaba | Minyama | Kawana Island). They produce a wonderful glossy brochure each month which always had a knack of arriving on the most miserable wet days ! In my opinion they tend to get a large proportion of the great properties in the area and in fact we're buying ours through them.

Gaby McEwan at their Maroochydore office has been an absolute star in showing us the areas that best suit what we're after and syncing it with schools etc etc.

Trying to give you a feel for prices would likely be misleading as they vary greatly from area to area, facilities, land quality etc. However we feel that despite the strong recent growth, acreage properties still represent excellent value as the mindest (although starting to shift) is still to get as close to the sea as possible. Our view is that a 10 minute drive to the beach is still rather acceptable !!

Guest chello

Hi Londonderry

I have lived in Buderim for 8 years and have been coming here for the previous 15 on holidays. The place is really like paradise, 10 minutes from some of Queenslands best beaches, 20 minutes from the mountains. But be careful where you buy in what is now called Buderim. You see, the original Buderim is a hill, called Buderim Mountain and was originally a farming community. Buderim was made famous by Ginger which was grown and produced in the largest Ginger Factory in the Southern Hemisphere up to 20 odd years ago when it moved away. In the haste to make a buck out the Buderim name, developers and real estate agents have named areas Buderim which are more akin to Maroochydore or Sippy Downs than "traditional" Buderim. So there are now 2 areas, one is "in" Buderim and the other is "on" Buderim. Living on Buderim puts you amongst a real community-minded precinct which has many favourable and quite nice societal amenities. The most important is the Buderim War Memorial Community Association (BWMCA). They hold "Welcome to Buderim" meetings on Tuesdays in the main street! You can get the whole Buderim story on the Buderim Web site. Bring lots of money if you want to buy anything with a view. Rents are also relatively high here, due to an acute shortage of housing and a seemingly endless stream of people arriving!

Cheers

Chello

Guest jewels1356

i think the whole of that ares fab iam heading thier i have friends in buderim and have been its lovely when ima their meet you for coffee

julie

Guest londonderry

Thanks, Chello - I appreciate your reply, and all the information you have given. Very helpful. It sounds great!

Guest londonderry

Thanks so much for the further information. We agree that it is more sensible to go in a bit from the sea. Hope all goes well with the purchase of your property - I bet it's wonderful!

Guest KirstyM

I just moved to Buderim last Friday. I'm so new I'm not sure if i'm "in" it or "on" it.

Simply put, it's beautiful and we love it. We have a beautiful house on a rainforest block with possums and bush turkeys wandering about the place. We got it for the same price we'd have paid for a soulless Barrat box at home and the neighbours are lovely.

If I ever had any doubts about being here long term, they vanished when we moved up here to Buderim.

Guest londonderry

Wow, sounds wonderful - enjoy!! The only thing putting us off the area at the moment is that my husband is thinking the summers will be too hot :-(

Guest cazbeckham

Hi

You know when you are looking on the internet at suburbs of queensland and you keep going back to one all the time, well Buderim keeps drawing me back every time.

Although I have been to Australia twice on hols, never been to Buderim. Our Daughter went to Buderim earlier this year and said it was beautiful but property is a little on the high side. She said that moving inland a lttle would get us more for our money.

Anyone any thoughts on this please

We will have cash to pay for a house and would be looking at anything up to $600,000.

Caz

Hi

You know when you are looking on the internet at suburbs of queensland and you keep going back to one all the time, well Buderim keeps drawing me back every time.

Although I have been to Australia twice on hols, never been to Buderim. Our Daughter went to Buderim earlier this year and said it was beautiful but property is a little on the high side. She said that moving inland a lttle would get us more for our money.

Anyone any thoughts on this please

We will have cash to pay for a house and would be looking at anything up to $600,000.

Caz

I know exactly what you mean! I'll let you know all the info I can muster after my reccie in October. I'll stick on a thread, so keep your eyes open for it.

T

But be careful where you buy in what is now called Buderim. You see, the original Buderim is a hill, called Buderim Mountain and was originally a farming community. Buderim was made famous by Ginger which was grown and produced in the largest Ginger Factory in the Southern Hemisphere up to 20 odd years ago when it moved away. In the haste to make a buck out the Buderim name, developers and real estate agents have named areas Buderim which are more akin to Maroochydore or Sippy Downs than "traditional" Buderim. So there are now 2 areas, one is "in" Buderim and the other is "on" Buderim. Living on Buderim puts you amongst a real community-minded precinct which has many favourable and quite nice societal amenities

Londonderry, I would totally disregard the above comment. The whole idea of 'On Buderim' is absurd, I hear it every day from snobby clients who think they are better than everyone else because they live on a giant dirt mound. The truth is that Buderim is Buderim is Buderim, anyone who uses the 'On' terminology has a superiority complex. Everyone has access to the same community facilities, it's not like they give you a license to say you live 'On' Buderim!

Sorry to rant, but this issue really grinds my gears!

On a more positive note, the suburbs of Mountain Creek and Buderim are in my opinion some of the best on the Sunshine Coast, with access to some of the best schools in the area.

Hope that helps!

Jamie

Archived