ceiling fixing and partitioning in perth?

Guest the laings

Guest the laings

WE ARE IN EARLY STAGES OF EMIGRATING TO PERTH WITH OUR 3 CHILDREN, AM PANICKING ABIT AS SEEMS TO BE NO WORK FOR ME THERE. CAN ANYONE HELP WITH INFO ETC. BEEN DOING JOB 20 YEARS.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BullCreek_Bob

G'day

I don't know what ceiling fixing and partitioning is - I'm not a tradie by any measure. What sort of housing is it that you work on?

Here in Perth over 90% of places are double brick on a concrete float with timber or steel frame roofing beams topped with concrete tiles or tin sheeting. The ceilings are just gyprock sheeting attached to the underside of the beams.

Do these sound like the sort of houses you work on? If so there is lots of work here. The types of housing in Sydney, Melbourne etc is quite different to here.

I've answered you post because you don't seem to be getting flooded with lots of rplies, and as I said I'm not a tradesman so I might have got some of the words wrong however I have had houses built here and lived in quite a few !!

Chers

Bob in Bull Creek

Guest simon AND kerry

you may be better off trying plastering companies,i,m in melbourne the plasters do the m/f work here,while the walls are timber frame which boards are stuck onto with stud adhesive this might not be the case in perth where i believe they dont use has much timberframe hope this helps above all you have to be prepared to set yourself up ,the aussie tradies i have met are professional,motivated,take there work seriously and if their is a quicker/easier way they do it;they are much more set up for production than average brit tradesmen good luck

Guest silverstargazer38

my husband is a plasterer also doing partitions etc, there is a demand in queensland for construction. Knights plastering in brisbane on their website state they are interested in plasterers just email them. In perth afer watching the down under show bbc 1 9.15 show daily during the week

general the cost of housing is dearer, but in queensland, lots of construction housing better price, so we are looking into going there instead. We have just started the process of doing our tra, after doing a test prior to starting the application, we got 110 points so happy!!! this

was through a migration agent. We however are continuing to do all the forms ourselves!! lots of paperwork!! On the job site seek.com.au once you have got your tra and visa, you can upload your cv, enabling potential employers to view your cv, we are going to do this later. We are looking forward to a new life in oz, hope this info helps........ :)

• 3 months later...
Guest happydays

Hi there,

I am also a ceiling fixer and partitioner and am in the early stages of emigrating to Perth. My sister emigrated to Perth (Butler, Brighton) two years ago and is loving it. My bother in law was a contract vinyl stickerhere in the UK, but is now a painter and decorator in OZ. He has assured me that there is a LOT of work out there for me in my trade, hence the main reason for our deciding decision.

I work for a small contactor in Bexley, Kent and have been with him for 16 years. I also met my wife through a ceiling and partition distributor CPD Distribtion (SIG), formally C.P. Supplies.

My sister believes the opportunities in Perth for our trade is endless. I hope this info helps.

:yes:

Hi, I moved to the sunshine coast 6 months ago, I have been doing suspended ceilings and partitions in England for 20 years, I have got good work over here, earning good money on contract work (price work). They do things a bit different over here, ceilings are usually to cover up whats above, or for thermal qualities, nothing fancy, usually plasterboard tiles. They tend to use 1200x600 here, still not seen a 600x600. Partitions are metal stud, they do ali, but its not like our h section composite partitions, its pretty naff! They have partition framers, and sheeters. They do tape and jointing on the walls here, and that goes hand in hand with the sheeting (boarding to you and me). Thats why we are often called plasterers. Up to now, I have just framed out the partitions, and some other guys (plasterers) come and slam the boards on and 'set' them. They run the boards horizontally here, often using 6m long plasterboards.

I don't know about Perth, I di go there last year as it was on my list of possible places to live, whilst there, I found that work was plentyfull, so I reckon you'll be ok. But I love it here just north of Brisbane, and there is work here too.

If you do get stuck, you can always turn your hand to domestic ceilings and partitions, working in new build housing, but the money isnt much cop, try to get commercial work first of all.

Any questions, pm me, hope it works out ok.

Rik

Guest happydays

Hi m8 90% done on my t.r.a i have in detail discribed how i would install a metal stud partition, m/f ceiling, suspended ceiling and a gypline wall lining is that what there looking for as well as the rest of the other stuff. I suppose its like a indepth method statement.....

Archived