Looking forward to cheap motoring again

PommyPaul

Was doing a bit of car hunting today which got me onto some basic workings out of running costs.

2001 falcon 4 litre petrol straight six engine does approx combined 9litres-100kms

so lets say it does roughtly 26mpg at a cost of $1.40 per litre

Then take my uk car.

Peugeot 106 1.1

50mpg (4.7l/100kms) combined at a cost of $2.39 per litre uk prices

So to do 100kms in the uk in my pug 106 would cost $11.23

To do 100kms in the big thirsty falcon in Oz would cost $12.60

Gawd i can't wait for cheap motoring again :)

Guest Jaynie

Hi Paul,

And just to make you feel a little bit better, Ford/Holden are the cheaper cars to insure as long as they aren't the european imports such as Barina/Focus, but even they are still quite reasonable being smaller engines.

Happy?:yes:

Guest Jaynie
ohh that sounds good as well!!

I read somewhere that with insurance you can pretty much imagine what it would cost in the uk then change the pound sign to a dollar sign to give a very rought idea.

So about half price.

Not sure about that aspect Paul as I never insured a car in the UK, however I pay about $400 in NSW (fully Comp) for a Mitsubishi Magna 3.5litre engine, costs about $90 to fill at the moment, but that lasts 2 weeks , we travel about 30-45kilometres a day. I can't work it out but I'm sure you will! lol, that isn't taking into account the odd trips here and there but they are only local.

Guest RCoight

Gawd i can't wait for cheap motoring again :)

Only if you're still counting in £'s. If you're earning in dollars and spending in dollars you won't notice the differential so much.

Guest Jaynie
You should get the following for the magna so not bad.

Fuel Urban (l/100km)11.0

Fuel Extra Urban (l/100km)7.0

Fuel Combined (l/100km)11.5

Cheers Paul however I do remember only last year that it only cost about $60-70 to fill up. Thankfully prices have stayed steady for a few weeks, this car just loves to go especially at the high speeds but don't have much call to go on the freeways, however the Magna has a low insurance rating, they have the new 380 and also the new Lancer looks good too although not too sure on the insurance costs for the lancer but the magna definately has a low insurance rating and they are a lovely car, this is the second one we have bought, and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles on it either!

Only if you're still counting in £'s. If you're earning in dollars and spending in dollars you won't notice the differential so much.

i dunno, say if in the uk i'm taking home £1300 a month and in oz i'm taking home $2600 i'm sure the below will feel good...

Oz: $1.40 per litre = 65p per litre

UK: $2.38 per litre = £1.11 per litre

So what about the effect on the enviroment? Bigger car bigger pollution........who cares im gonna buy a beast and thrash the backside out of it......infact im gonna buy 2 beasts and take them both on unnessasary journeys.....because i can.

We only have one planet......kill it!

Guest earlswood
i dunno, say if in the uk i'm taking home £1300 a month and in oz i'm taking home $2600 i'm sure the below will feel good...

Oz: $1.40 per litre = 65p per litre

UK: $2.38 per litre = £1.11 per litre

:no:figures show petrol prices have doubled in the past five years and AMP Capital chief economist Shane Oliver tips them to double again by 2013. Five years ago, Adelaide drivers were paying an average 84c a litre at the pump. During the past week, prices went above 174.9c a litre.

They reckon it could even reach $5 a litre in 5 years.

So what about the effect on the enviroment? Bigger car bigger pollution........who cares im gonna buy a beast and thrash the backside out of it......infact im gonna buy 2 beasts and take them both on unnessasary journeys.....because i can.

We only have one planet......kill it!

I really don't think in the big picture/long term grand scheme of things that we'll do any lasting damage to the planet!

Yes we'll most likely kill most of the human race by quickening a global enviromental event but nothing that wouldn't have eventually happened anyway.

The planet would probably thank us if it could lol!

:no:figures show petrol prices have doubled in the past five years and AMP Capital chief economist Shane Oliver tips them to double again by 2013. Five years ago, Adelaide drivers were paying an average 84c a litre at the pump. During the past week, prices went above 174.9c a litre.

They reckon it could even reach $5 a litre in 5 years.

I think before then i'll start using lpg or bioethanol, hell we may be lucky and battery technology will allow decent electric cars. I'll miss the v8 rumble but will enjoy the huge about of torque from electric motors.. :cool:

Archived