Hi !

Dawn75

Hello, my husband and I decided a couple of months back to apply to migrate to Perth. We have friends there who went Aug 07 and are getting on well.

We have 2 young children aged 3 and 2 so want to go whilst they are little.

We have been using a migration agent who seems good. We got the points but waiting to see what the new regs on Pathway D are going to be on 1st Sept. My husband has been a carpenter/joiner for 20 yrs but has no written qualifications ! It sounds like we might get round it though once regs change so just waiting now to see what they are but its very nerve wracking. :smile:

Hello, my husband and I decided a couple of months back to apply to migrate to Perth. We have friends there who went Aug 07 and are getting on well.

We have 2 young children aged 3 and 2 so want to go whilst they are little.

We have been using a migration agent who seems good. We got the points but waiting to see what the new regs on Pathway D are going to be on 1st Sept. My husband has been a carpenter/joiner for 20 yrs but has no written qualifications ! It sounds like we might get round it though once regs change so just waiting now to see what they are but its very nerve wracking. :smile:

Hi

Welcome to PIO.

Have you taken a look at the Vetassess route.

Eammon hasn't any formal qualifications in carpentry, but has been working as a carpenter for most of his working life. He passed his practical assessment a couple of weeks ago.

Good luck

Denise x

Hi Dawn welcome to PIO. The whole process will have you on a rollercoaster ride. But this site is great and will offer you loads of support along the way.

:wubclub:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Dawn

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

What is your country of residence, please? You have said Portsmouth, but do you mean Portsmouth in the UK? I ask because if you are resident in the UK then whether Hubby is a Carpenter or a Carpenter & Joiner, his skills will need to be assessed by VETASSESS, not by TRA. The rule changes that might or might not happen on 1st September affect only the tradies who have to have their skills assessed by TRA.

Therefore if you are from Eire, USA, Canada or similar you will be affected by the new TRA rules. However if Hubby's skills assessment will have to be done by VETASSESS, he will not need any formal qualifications in any case.

Please see the following links:

Carpenter 4411-13 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

Carpenter and Joiner 4411-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

If he will still have to go through TRA, then it looks like it is going to be highly unlikely that it will be possible to do that without formal qualifications of some sort:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

Best wishes

Gill

Archived