Standard of living for Parent migrating

Guest tahe49

I have been researching the Contributory Parent Visa for my mum to join us in migrating to Oz and I am getting more and more concerned as I research.

My mum is retired but only 63 (and a very healthy energetic 63), she has some equity in a house so if she sold up and paid for Conributory Visa, she would not have enough to put down for a house. Therefore she would probably have to rent. Her UK pension would be frozen at the rate she left the UK and she would not be eligable for an Australian pension for 10 years. Basically she would not have the lifestyle that she has here and would have to downsize in order to maintain a "normal" living. I do not think she would be entitled to any health care so that would also be another thing to worry about.

She would be happy to work part time, but I can't help feeling it has taken her a long time to get to the position she is in (i.e a month long holiday round the USA this year, china last year), to take a step backwards.

Has anyone got any ideas -or is this just the way it has to be!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Tahe49

Your mother would be entitled to full Medicare from Day One, do don't worry about that bit.

For the rest, you are not wrong unfortunately. However, look at it this way. What happens if she gets to 73 or 83 and by then she has become ill, needing you to look after her? If she failed the meds at that stage, the situation would not be easy for any of you.

I do think that that is an important part of the equation as well, though I quite understand the difficulty and you have my utmost support and concern.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Tahe49

Your mother would be entitled to full Medicare from Day One, do don't worry about that bit.

At least that is one thing - thanks

Maybe she could marry a rich aussie guy and all our worries would be over :lol:

Archived