Lilydale & Yarra Valley

Guest mandisfam

Guest mandisfam

Hi guys, as with most of us, Im researching possible places to live near Melbourne. I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about Lilydale and Yarra Valley and surrounding areas, good and bad please.

Oh will be working in the cbd.

Thanks in advance.

Mandisfam

Hi

I used to live in Lilydale and it is lovely. Its quite hilly and green. It has a great little centre though the road separating the shops is a busy one (Maroondah Highway). The train station is the last on the line and it will take 1 hour to city.

It has a mixture of older and newer houses and a few little new estates. You can still buy land here to biuld your own. The new eastlink will take you to the coast in apprx 45 minutes to an hour depends on traffic. You can catch the train to Frankston (gorgeous sea and beach the water is crystal clear) for $2.50 on a Sunday so great day out and you can wonder around Frankston. You are close to the little villages in the Yarra valley too.

Basically you cant go wrong in Lilydale if you dont mind travelling to the city or beach. It has everything you need in very close proximity.Bear in mind you can always get a swimming pool if you can afford it and i hate getting sand everywhere anyway!! Not sure about the High school though but the Local Primary was great.

If you need any info let me know.

Georgie

Just to carry on from Georgie's info you would have to change trains to get a train on the Frankston line which would mean you had to travel into the city and then back out again.

None of the train lines in Melbourne are linked they go out from the city like arms. Its unfortunate that they have not linked them. So it would be quite a journey as Frankston is a hour from the city as well.

:smile:

We drove through Lilydale last weekend for the first time and thought it was beautiful, we have just signed a 1 year rental closer to the city but afterwards would seriously consider moving out there. There is a lake in Lilydale which has a small beach which could be a substitue for the beach - bit closer. House prices seem very reasonable out there also.

Guest haysgood

I would have to agree.

We moved to Melbourne a few weeks ago and although we regret coming to Melbourne as it is generally a dump (I don't mean to offend people who like it here - I'm just being honest, it is a dump!), but Lilydale and Emerald were about the only 2 areas we liked. Very hilly and green, and no grafitti unlike the entire rest of Melbourne.

Cheers

Hayley

Hi Mandisfam

Whereabouts in North Yorks you from? We are from Harrogate and have lived in Melbourne for 2 years but soon to be Brisbane end of Oct to sunnier weather!

Georgie

ps. the beach at Lilydale lake is good for kids but the lake itself is not a pleasant clear water variety and in fact someone recently told me that they are going to try and get swimming banned there as too dirty. Its amazing the fact that if you arent near the sea you dont really miss it but its nice to know there is lovely sea and beaches within an hour if you want it. What i am trying to say is we had to drive to Scarborough North Yorks for the beach which took a bit over 2 hours and here sometimes it takes slightly less than 1 hour!

How funny is this, we are also from North Yorkshire, we lived in Wistow and Church Fenton - between York and Leeds. This is our 4th week in Melbourne.

Guest Three P's

We live in Montrose, just down from Lilydale. Have to say I love it here, as said before very hilly and green. My OH works in the CBD and catches the train from Mooroolbark station which is only a 6/7min drive from where we are. IMO Lilydale/Mt Evelyn/Montrose/Kilsyth/Croydon are all worth considering if your looking in that area. We're only a short drive away from the Yarra Valley, 15min drive to Eastland in Ringwood which is the shopping Plaza,various cycling/walking trails and 30-40min drive down to beaches now with the new Eastlink motorway opening.

Jen

Archived