Visa176 to Victoria

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace

Hi

We recently had to change from 175 app to 176 so we are wanting to go to Victoria.

We have been told to really research on the net to find out what to put on our application with regards to things like how much money you need and how much you think it will cost in the initial year to settle.

We are going to say we wanna buy 2nd hand car, rent a house for 12 months following an initial 4-6 wk furnished or short term rental and set aside some money in case it takes a while to get work etc.

Some people say you need £10,000 spare to get through the 1st year.

What I would really love is some info on what people who are state sponsored said on their application.

We lived in Melbourne on working holiday visa about 4 years ago so love the city but aint too sure about what the finances should be now...

Its a lot to ask, but I really need some advice and would majorly appreciate it as we basically need this or we are stuck in this country... :arghh:

I suggest you look at www.realestate.com.au for the cost of rentals and www.carsales.com.au for the cost of a vehicle. For your cost of living I suggest you base in on similar to your UK outgoings - food, utilities etc although rates are included in rental costs. For furnished short term accomodation ie holiday let check out somewhere like www.wotif.com.au

As for what you know about the state, then you really need to say what you know from your previous visit I guess.

Why have you changed from a 175 to 176?

Lyn

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi there

Twinsmom65 is a lady called Karen. They have applied for a 176 visa sponsored by WA because they want to move to West Australia. Karen has dealt with the whole thing herself and it has been like watching a hot, sharp knife slicing through butter. Karen does not sit around agonising about answers, either. If she thinks a question is unclear she gets the relevant Australian Government department on the phone, finds out what it is they actually want to know and what answer they are looking for.

So Karen can give you a lot of help if you ask her. Her public profile is here:

PomsInOz Forum - View Profile: twinsmom65

Click on Statistics and you will be able to find all the threads started by Karen, plus all the threads on which she has posted replies.

If I were in your shoes, I really would devote some time to reading everything Karen has written. I'm sure she would be only too please to help if you PM her and ask.

In the meantime, they do expect you to have read the State website from cover to cover because as far as the State Government is concerned, the State website explains everything you need to consider if you are thinking of moving to Victoria.

Work and Live in Melbourne and Regional Victoria, Australia - Live In Victoria

A bit like with an exam, I suggest that you demonstrate in your answers that you know what the State website says.

Best wishes

Gill

Excellent thanks! I will check out Karen's posts and the Victorian govt website. I just wanted to make sure we get this right as it is basically our last chance to get a visa.

In answer to why have we changed from 175 to 176 - we started our visa application about a year and a half ago before all the Sept changes came in. I found out I was pregnant so the panel doctor said we could delay our medicals until after the baby was born. Our migration agent said we could also delay the application until the baby was born so he could be included in the visa application and we could get his birth certificate/passport etc dealt with rather than getting the visa then having to amend everything after he was born. We also were a bit concerned about emigrating when our baby was still very young as we are new parents and thought it would be stressful enough emigrating without the added pressure of a brand new baby and no family around to help.

Anyway, as you know the points and all were changed in Sept 07 but it wasnt until our case officer was allocated that it came to light that my partner (as the main applicant) missed out on the points for "specific work experience" because we moved to Melbourne for a few months back in 2005 but he didnt do any joinery then. This meant there was a break in his work experience over the last "3 out of 4 years" as stated in the new points system and we lost 15 points. He no longer qualifies for the 175 so we have to change.

Sorry - bit of a long explanation but that is basically it. We missed out by a couple of weeks specific work experience but as far as the Dept of Immi is concerned, rules are rules.

Guest the terry's

Hi WGGOTP, our agent told us they recommend you take 25,000 for the first person and then 5,000 for every person after that, however they didn't say whether it was £'s or A$'s. Hope this helps a bit.

Helenx

Hi WGGOTP' date=' our agent told us they recommend you take 25,000 for the first person and then 5,000 for every person after that, however they didn't say whether it was £'s or A$'s. Hope this helps a bit.

Helenx[/quote']

Thanks, that is really helpful. I have been trying to find out as much as I can from the LiveInVictoria website but I seem to be overloading on irrelevant information and I have a 4 month old baby to keep amused at the same time as trying to get all this "research" done..

I feel like I am kinda cheating by asking on here but we did spend a good few months in Melbourne - I just don't know how little/much detail they are looking for.

Thanks again

Guest Gollywobbler

Hiya

Research is not easy with a baby needing attention, I shouldn't think. Try the following links, which might save some time. Just use the Oz dollars figure and divide by two to get GBP. It will be close enough for research purposes:

Cost of Living in Melbourne & Regional Victoria, Australia - Live in Victoria

Certainly worth swotting up on the cost of living section. Banking? Well - if you can spare time at this early stage? There will be plenty of time to worry about banking once you have the visa, it seems to me. But at least read the section even if you only do so once though don't spend a lot of time on it, I suggest.

The reason why the news that you will be taking not less than $25,000 with you is significant is because they want to be assured that you are not likely to become eligible for Special Benefit during your first two years in Australia. Centrelink is the Social Security Office. The only income support type of Benefit that a new migrant can claim during his/her first two years in Australia is Special Benefit, but even that is not available unless a dire calamity occurs which nobody could have foreseen and which is completely outside the new migrant's control (eg your house and all its contents are destroyed in a bushfire but the family is unharmed.)

Special Benefit is means-tested. My guess is that assets/cash/income of $25,000 would take you outside of the threshold for eligibility for Special Benefit:

Centrelink Home Page

Use the A-Z Index and Special Benefit is under S.

Publications if you have recently moved to Australia to settle

Read the new migrant's booklet from the link above, I suggest.

They also assume that you have read and understood the settlement section of the DIAC website:

Settle in Australia

However, DO NOT get too hung up on any of it. There are no trick questions and a LOT of your fellow-applicants have never been to Australia, let alone to Victoria. You will not be allowed to write a 5,000 word essay in response to every question! You will almost certainly find that the on-line form restricts you to about 250 words per answer.

So fear not! You will be just fine, you'll see.

Best wishes

Gill

Fantastic!!! Thank you sooooooo much. :notworthy:

You make good points there - we have lived in Melbourne before and it was so amazing that we decided to emigrate. I sometimes find it hard to be subjective - I just seem to get bogged down in the detail and mess things up.

I'm off to get dizzier on the LiveInVictoria pages again.

Hiya

Research is not easy with a baby needing attention, I shouldn't think. Try the following links, which might save some time. Just use the Oz dollars figure and divide by two to get GBP. It will be close enough for research purposes:

Cost of Living in Melbourne & Regional Victoria, Australia - Live in Victoria

Certainly worth swotting up on the cost of living section. Banking? Well - if you can spare time at this early stage? There will be plenty of time to worry about banking once you have the visa, it seems to me. But at least read the section even if you only do so once and don't spend a lot of time on it, I suggest.

The reason why the news that you will be taking not less than $25,000 with you is because they want to be assured that you are not likely to become eligible for Special Benefit during your first two years in Australia. Centrelink is the Social Security Office. The only income support type of Benefit that a new migrant can claim during his/her first two years in Australia is Special Benefit, but even that is not available unless a dire calamity occurs which nobody could have foreseen and which is completely outside the new migrant's control (eg your house and all its contents are destroyed in a bushfire but the family is unharmed.)

Special Benefit is means-tested. My guess is that assets/cash/income of $25,000 would take you outside of the threshold for eligibility for Special Benefit:

Centrelink Home Page

Use the A-Z Index and Special Benefit is under S.

Publications if you have recently moved to Australia to settle

Read the new migrant's booklet from the link above, I suggest.

They also assume that you hahve read and understood the settlement section of the DIAC website:

Settle in Australia

However, DO NOT get too hung up on any of it. There are no trick questions and a LOT of your fellow-applicants have never been to Australia, let alone to Victoria. You will not be allowed to write a 5,000 word essay in response to every question! You will almost certainly find that the on-line form restricts you to about 250 words per answer.

So fear not! You will be just fine, you'll see.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived