Advice on school fees.

Guest *KAY TEE*

Guest *KAY TEE*

HI CAN ANYONE ADVISE ON SCHOOL FEES, IN MELBOURNE. IM A LITTLE CONCERNED MAINLY BECAUSE I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THEY WORK.

1. ARE THERE DIFFERENT PRICES FOR DIFFERENT SCHOOLS?

2. WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN STATE SCHOOLS AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS IF YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR BOTH?:cool:

3. WHAT ABOUT PRIMARY SCHOOLS, ARE THEY STATE AND PRIVATE, AND WHAT WOULD THEY COST?

4.ARE THESE FEES PAYABLE YEARLY, MONTHLY????? HELP:wacko:

IM JUST LOOKING FOR GOOD AFFORDABLE STATE SCHOOLS,(PRIMARY & COMPREHENSIVE) WHICH HAVE GOOD GRADES AND GOOD REPUTATIONS....SOMEWHERE PREFERABLY NEAR WIRRABEE, POINT COOK,SANCTUARY LAKES AREA

THANKS EVERYONE IN ADVANCE, ANY ADVICE IS MUCH APPRICIATED... X

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi KayTee

It all depends on what visa you are coming in on. If you are on certain visas then you have to pay for all education.

If you are on a PR Visa it does vary from school to school.

Independant schools are private schools and fees vary and for high school they average around $20k. The catholic schools are really good as they charge around $3k per year.

You will still have all your extras to pay like books, trips etc.

Government Schools are like the UK council schools, however, over here you have to pay for all your books, pens etc, this usually costs anything from $100 + depending on what year your child is in. On top of this you have what they class as school maintenance fees, these again vary, but can be from $500 upwards per year, what most schools fail to tell you is that this is voluntary and they CANNOT force you to pay this.

Independant education you usually get billed per term, the books and maintenance fees are usually billed at the start of the year, so around January/February.

Government schools it is usually January/February.

Christmas is a very expensive time over here!!!!

Remember that the Ozzies have these fees to pay too, the only time you will pay more for the education is if you are on certain temp visas.

Guest *KAY TEE*

Hi there,

Thanks for all of your advice, Im trying to take everything in. We will be coming over on a 457 visa, and I will have kids in year 11, 9 and primary school year 3, what would I have to pay pay year for the three of them (government schools). Thanks in adance. Ang x

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi there,

Thanks for all of your advice, Im trying to take everything in. We will be coming over on a 457 visa, and I will have kids in year 11, 9 and primary school year 3, what would I have to pay pay year for the three of them (government schools). Thanks in adance. Ang x

Hi

You should be ok and have no extra fees to pay with your 457 but check with your agent just in case it has changed. You will however, have all the fees I have mentioned in my previous email. Unfortunately it varies on schools so I cannot give you a more exact quote.

It is hard trying to take everything on board, I always found a glass of wine helped:v_SPIN:

Archived