Question for skippy or anyone else local...

Guest hannahf

Guest hannahf

My OH is flying out for his interview in Moss Vale at the end of the month. We have just found out via our agent that it looks as if we will be able to get pemanent residency which was really our deciding factor as to whether we would make the move. Whilst he is in Moss Vale he will have a day to explore the area and look for potential areas to live. We would like to live near the coast however my OH will be working a night shift which will mean him finishing at 3 in the morning! Not so bad in the summer but not great in the winter! From what I have read if he were to live somewhere in the shellharbour, kiama area he would have to take the macquaire pass and we were wondering what this would be like in the winter in the pitch black! Would we better off finding somewhere to live in moss vale itself?

Any thoughts would be welcomed

Thanks Hannah

Guest Dave53

Hannah ,

Macquarie Pass is no problem , even in the depths of Winter . It's highly unlikely that the weather will be a problem , as that area gets little or no snow at all in Winter . The main problem travelling on that road at night is more likely to be kangaroos straying on the road . It would probably take about 45 mins at a guess to travel from Moss Vale to Kiama or Shell Harbour so I supose it's all about whether the driving may be a problem or not . Best of luck .

Dave C

Dave's right, I use the pass quite often and have for the last 30 years, so it's no problem to me, I like driving it at night as you can see when something is coming the other way.

The only things I've encountered at night in that time were a wombat, wallaby, echidna & a wild goat, the people that get into trouble are the ones that go too fast.

I used to travel on the main Picton Rd at 2-30am each day, it's the deadliest road around these parts, Roos and lots of other wildlife, not to mention the big trucks, so give me the pass anytime.

Guest hannahf

Thanks to both of you for that. Sounds as if it would be alright. Problem is I am just not to sure if a 45 min journey after a night shift is the best idea. Is there anywhere that we could be looking at which is midway (ish) between moss vale and the coast. We live in the midlands here and as i have always dreamt of living near the sea i want to be as close as is practicallably possible when we move. Our daughter is only one so at the moment we don't need to be looking at schools or anything like that.

Thers nothing in between Hannah, only Robertson, and that is only a small farming community, I used to drive that far when I was a miner, nothing to it, my wife travelled to Cronulla each day for 20 years, that was an hour and a half drive each way.

There are a lot of people work in Sydney from this area, they prefer to do that for the environment we live in and the cheaper property prices.

Archived