Medical Disclosure

bearnova64

I am looking to move to Australia and have been reliably informed I tick all the boxes to be accepted, but I have one question about the medical disclosure. I would easily pass the medical I need to attend as I am pretty fit. However, some years ago I had some mental health issues and tried to take my life. Thankfully I am fully recovered and have been in the clear for years. I also have a very low level of cancer which my Drs say probably will never need treatment so I am just monitored, which has been going on for years.

Neither of the above issues are any concern for my to burden the Australian health system, which I believe is what they look out for, so should I disclose as I am concerned in doing so I open a can of worms? I feel I should disclose, even though I believe the visa folk rarely contact your GP only if they have serious concerns, so if I did not the above would remain private. I would be grateful for guidance on the best course and if the above (which I consider minor health issues) are nothing for me to worry about in terms of getting my visa.

The time limit they put on disclosing things is 5 years so if your mental health issues are before that and not ongoing no need to disclose. You do have to fill out a questionnaire that asks if you have ever been x,y,z though I think. 
You will have to declare the cancer. If you don’t and it needs monitored/treated your visa will be declared invalid. 

Edited by Cheery Thistle
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

The time limit they put on disclosing things is 5 years so if your mental health issues are before that and not ongoing no need to disclose. You do have to fill out a questionnaire that asks if you have ever been x,y,z though I think. 
You will have to declare the cancer. If you don’t and it needs monitored/treated your visa will be declared invalid. 

Actually … cancer is 5 years and mental health is at any time in the past:

”Do you suffer, or have you ever suffered, from mental health problems?”

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Actually … cancer is 5 years and mental health is at any time in the past:

”Do you suffer, or have you ever suffered, from mental health problems?”

Yes that’s what I thought, I can’t remember as it was a while ago that we did ours that’s why I put in about the ‘have you ever’. I did say to disclose the cancer as the person says they have it currently. 
Bottom line is it’s pretty clear on the form what you need to disclose. But really that’s why people should use a migration agent. I’ll not bother answering these as I seem to always get ‘corrected’ though I’m trying to be helpful! 

13 hours ago, bearnova64 said:

...I would easily pass the medical I need to attend as I am pretty fit. However...

...Neither of the above issues are any concern for my to burden the Australian health system...

...so should I disclose as I am concerned in doing so ...

This is a bit of a slippery slope to go down.  The only person who is considered competent to decide you pass the medical is the Doctor who does the test.  They, and the Department, decide if there is a burden on the Australian Health system.  

In general it is not a great idea to decide for yourself what is or isn't relevant.  Answer the questions that you are asked openly and honestly and if there is anything in there that is a little out of the ordinary provide evidence why you believe it isn't of concern or relevance.  Attempting to hide things is very high risk and not disclosing can have very serious impacts if it is uncovered at a later point.  The fact that you have concerns around disclosure shows that these are potential issues.

Good luck

• Like 4

I had a minor skin cancer outside of the 5 year declarable window, but I still mentioned it during the medical and took along the details from the consultant where I was given the all clear. I would get some documentation from your consultant about the level of your condition and take it along to the medical.