Gas Engineer/Technician

Hi,

Me, my husband and our two sons (7 & 11) are from the UK and are about to apply for a visa to live in Oz.

My husband has been a Gas Engineer/Technician for 20 years here, fixing and servicing central heating boilers. His profession is on the skilled worker list and we intend to apply on this basis. 

We would like to live in WA but having had a look at available jobs, it seems that the working in the gas industry over there is different, with most appearing to be primarily plumbing roles. 

I was wondering if there are any other gas men on here that have emigrated? What have you ended up doing career-wise?

I have seen roles advertised for aircon and/or refrigeration technicians, can your skills be transferred to this type of role?

Any advice or stories of your experiences since emigrating as a gas man would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 🙂

17 minutes ago, juejue said:

Hi,

Me, my husband and our two sons (7 & 11) are from the UK and are about to apply for a visa to live in Oz.

My husband has been a Gas Engineer/Technician for 20 years here, fixing and servicing central heating boilers. His profession is on the skilled worker list and we intend to apply on this basis. 

We would like to live in WA but having had a look at available jobs, it seems that the working in the gas industry over there is different, with most appearing to be primarily plumbing roles. 

I was wondering if there are any other gas men on here that have emigrated? What have you ended up doing career-wise?

I have seen roles advertised for aircon and/or refrigeration technicians, can your skills be transferred to this type of role?

Any advice or stories of your experiences since emigrating as a gas man would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 🙂

Hiya. My husband is a gas engineer with his own business here. We are emigrating on my skill and we leave for Brisbane this October. My husband doesn’t intend to do gas out there. He would have to basically re qualify and then work under supervision. At the age of 52 and having been self employed for a long time and choosing his own work, he’s  not up for being on sites with a bunch of 25 year olds. Every state is different so it’s worth checking out WA requirements. 
We have been looking at facilities management and maintenance co-ordination roles for him as, at his age, he could really do with getting off the tools anyway. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Hiya. My husband is a gas engineer with his own business here. We are emigrating on my skill and we leave for Brisbane this October. My husband doesn’t intend to do gas out there. He would have to basically re qualify and then work under supervision. At the age of 52 and having been self employed for a long time and choosing his own work, he’s  not up for being on sites with a bunch of 25 year olds. Every state is different so it’s worth checking out WA requirements. 
We have been looking at facilities management and maintenance co-ordination roles for him as, at his age, he could really do with getting off the tools anyway. 

I totally understand why he doesn't want to re-train!  good look with the move 🙂

3 hours ago, juejue said:

We would like to live in WA but having had a look at available jobs, it seems that the working in the gas industry over there is different

Well, as you can imagine, there's not nearly as much call for central heating in Australia!  In fact, most gas in Australia is used by industry and for electricity production.  Gas in houses is much less common here.  Most of country Australia doesn't even have a mains supply.

You'll find some homes with gas central heating in states where it gets cold in winter, i.e. Victoria, ACT, and parts of NSW.  You'd think Tasmania would have too, but only parts of some cities have a mains supply.

Even though you can use his skills to get the visa, he wouldn't be able to go straight into business on arrival, even if there were opportunities. The skills assessment for the visa has nothing to do with being approved to work in Australia, it's just for the visa.  He will need to do some exams and then work under supervision for up to a year before he's allowed to work in his own right.

I'm sorry I can't be more positive.  The good news is that even if you use his skills to get the visa (assuming it's a 189/190 visa), he's not obliged to work in that field once you arrive. He can do anything he likes.