Monash or University of Adelaide ? for Masters in Artificial Intelligence and job opportunity..?

shridharshanvak

On 13/04/2024 at 20:13, shridharshanvak said:

I am a bachelor of computer science student in India and I have applied for both Monash and Adelaide but I'm not sure which one to choose and which university would provide me with a better job and lifestyle.

Neither will. Your skills, application, and interviews with employers will provide you with a job.

Honestly, from what Adelaide teach on their masters courses you'd be better off doing three months of intensive self study on computational neuroscience, LLMs, fuzzy logic application etc etc than spending tens of thousands on a churnmill degree

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

Neither will. Your skills, application, and interviews with employers will provide you with a job.

Honestly, from what Adelaide teach on their masters courses you'd be better off doing three months of intensive self study on computational neuroscience, LLMs, fuzzy logic application etc etc than spending tens of thousands on a churnmill degree

Well I thought about that too honestly but some say taking Masters in Artificial Intelligence in Monash is better than Adelaide .... 

39 minutes ago, shridharshanvak said:

Well I thought about that too honestly but some say taking Masters in Artificial Intelligence in Monash is better than Adelaide .... 

I don't want to put *anyone* off furthering themselves; however, quite honestly, I care less about postgrad degrees when I am interviewing, and infinitely more on whether the person I am interviewing can (most importantly) communicate clearly and (almost as importantly) knows what the hell they're doing.

A bit of gumption is never a bad thing in our industry, buddy.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

P.S.  Monash is a good university; but I see far too many people just "chasing degrees" rather than actually learning to do a decent job.  I'd rather take the grafters than the grifters.

A lot of the better coders I know haven't been near a university. Education might get you through the door, but it's an occupation that is really down to aptitude, you've either got it or you don't

Edited by bluequay

3 minutes ago, bluequay said:

A lot of the better coders I know haven't been near a university. Education might get you through the door, but it's an occupation that is really down to aptitude, you've either got it or you don't

Yes and no.  I've only met a handful of self-taught developers who really have a decent aptitude with complex algorithms and mathematics.  That's not to dismiss folk or say there aren't any.  I'd still rather have someone from one of the decent ancient universities any day of the week, though; at least they generally know how to balance soft skills with tech skills.

1 minute ago, BendigoBoy said:

Yes and no.  I've only met a handful of self-taught developers who really have a decent aptitude with complex algorithms and mathematics.  That's not to dismiss folk or say there aren't any.  I'd still rather have someone from one of the decent ancient universities any day of the week, though; at least they generally know how to balance soft skills with tech skills.

All fair points, but if they don't have an aptitude for coding they will be mediocre at best. Aptitude will always determine how good they will be, I've known a lot of very intelligent people who really struggle with coding as their brain just don't work in that way.

• Like 1

Just now, bluequay said:

All fair points, but if they don't have an aptitude for coding they will be mediocre at best. Aptitude will always determine how good they will be, I've known a lot of very intelligent people who really struggle with coding as their brain just don't work in that way.

Absolutely. We're more on the same page than not, mate.

End of the day, I want tickets moved and products built. If people can't do that, they need to move on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BendigoBoy said:

Absolutely. We're more on the same page than not, mate.

End of the day, I want tickets moved and products built. If people can't do that, they need to move on.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but as you are in the business! Do you know what the market is like at the moment? Angular\.Net Developer landing in Adelaide towards the end of the year. Spent the last 20 years contracting in the UK, but I appreciate it's more permie based in Oz.

Just now, bluequay said:

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but as you are in the business! Do you know what the market is like at the moment? Angular\.Net Developer landing in Adelaide towards the end of the year. Spent the last 20 years contracting in the UK, but I appreciate it's more permie based in Oz.

Drop me a private line, mate.  Happy to take this into the back channels and see if I can hook you up with any contacts.

• Like 1