Good secondary schools in melbourne

Guest *KAY TEE*

Guest *KAY TEE*

Hi, does anyone know any good secondary & primary schools near Point Cook, Sanctuary lakes or Altona meadows in Melbourne? Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Guest stubby

BUMP :smile:.

Hi there, just bumping up you're thread! We too are looking for a decent Primary for our soon-to-be 8 yr old.

I was told by someone that there is a really good primary in Werribee which is fairly close to these area's. You may want to try and check out schools in this area via ' Google' ?

I'll keep an eye on this thread also so please can someone advise.

Preferably peeps in these areas.

Cheers! :yes:

Guest The Pom Queen

School wise you have:

Secondary:

Altona:

Emmanuel College (Catholic) - approx 1200 students spread between N Altona and Point Cook - 99% complete their VCE and 94% their VET. Fees in Yr 10 are $2700 per year

Altona Secondary - Government - only small around 400 students.

Werribee Secondary Schools you have:

Heathdale Christian College - Independant. 100% pass VCE and 81% VET

Werribee Secondary - Government - 95% pass VCE and 83% pass VET. 45% go on to uni.

Galvin Park Secondary - 93% pass VCE and 62% pass VET - 35% go on to uni.

MacKillop Catholic - 96% pass VCE and 80% VET - 67% go on to Uni.

Sorry I haven't started my primary school guide yet so can't help with these.

Guest *KAY TEE*

Hi, thanx for the info. It was helpful. Please let me know when you have any info on primary schools aswell. Thanks

Guest sanders family
School wise you have:

Secondary:

Altona:

Emmanuel College (Catholic) - approx 1200 students spread between N Altona and Point Cook - 99% complete their VCE and 94% their VET. Fees in Yr 10 are $2700 per year

Werribee Secondary - Government - 95% pass VCE and 83% pass VET. 45% go on to uni.

Hi would you know the good primary and secondary schools on the eastern side from berwick down to mornington please as i have 15, 12, 9 year olds and can you tell me what VCE VET means and the differents as it is so confusing for some one like me (brain dead from visa stress) we are looking at that area many thanks kim

Guest Angie*mark

Hi I googled secondary and primary schools around Altona and found quite a few.

Altona green primary, Altona Meadows, seaholme primary, Altona North and Hobson bay look good i have emailed them and managed to print off a prospectous. Also regarding secondary i found this harder to get info but managed to print a prospectous for Bayside college. The only other one really i found was Altona secondary college.

Hope this helps

Angie

Guest Angie*mark

No probs, i know how much of a knightmare it is just to find the simple things, feels like you're forever searching for info but never seem to get anywhere lol.

Guest The Pom Queen

VCE stands for Victorian Certificate of Education and are studied in years 11 and 12. It is hard to compare like for like with the UK but for example Year 11 would be GCSE standard and Year 12 would be A Level. Here is some further information on the VCE Victorian Certificate of Education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VET is Vocational and Education training which is a little like what the UK YTS (Youth Training Scheme) is. Again take a look at the wiki for more information: Vocational education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi would you know the good primary and secondary schools on the eastern side from berwick down to mornington please as i have 15, 12, 9 year olds and can you tell me what VCE VET means and the differents as it is so confusing for some one like me (brain dead from visa stress) we are looking at that area many thanks kim

In regards to the second part of your question for good schools from Berwick to Mornington. It is a wide area, but some of the ones that spring to mind for good secondary education (I may have missed a couple as I am rushing) are:

BERWICK - Haileybury - Independant - Fees around $19k in Yr 10 - VCE pass 100%, VET Pass 99%. 79% go on to uni.

BERWICK - Berwick Grammer - Independant - Berwick Grammer is for boys and will open 2009 and is the brother school to the very popular St Margarets which is a all girls school.

BERWICK - Berwick Secondary School - Government - VCE 88%, VET 96%, total that go to uni is 36%

CRANBOURNE - St Peters - Catholic - VCE 100%, VCAL 100%, VET 84%. Going on to uni is 89%

FRANKSTON - Frankston High School - Government - VCE 98%, VET 75%, 70% go on to uni

MORNINGTON - Padua College - Catholic - VCE 98%, 94% VET on to uni 33%

MT ELIZA - Toorak College - Independant - VCE 100%, 60% VET on to uni 86%

MT ELIZA - Mount Eliza Secondary College - Government - VCE 97%, VET 79% on to uni is 35%.

Hope this helps:yes:

Have a look at this web site and it will explain the education system here in Victoria.

VCE - Victorian Certificate of Education - Stages at School - At School 5-18 - Department of Education and Early Childhood Development

The school scores can vary from year to year depending on the students, some years they are good some they are not. According to my son and other teachers a school might appear to be very good but might only have 4 students who did the vce etc.

I sent my children to private school not for the education but for the discipline and the fact that they had to sit an exam to get into the school and there was not as many disruptive students. The public schools have to take all students that are in their catchment area.

As it has been said Catholic education is cheaper but if you are not a catholic it would depend on there being places available after all catholic children from the parish catchment for the school were placed in the school.

Frankston High School is one of the best public schools in the area you are interested in and you would have to live in the catchment for that school as places are highly sought after. You have to be on the right side of the Moorooduc Road otherwise you would be in the Mount Erin High School catchment.

Dame Elizabeth Murdoch college one of my friends son and daughter went there she is a science teacher, he is a research scientist now working in America.

If the child has potential they will learn whatever school they go to because they want to learn and the teachers love these students. Its when they are struggling it makes a difference where you send them.

They are now making changes to curriculum as when they did away with the tech colleges it caused a loss of interest in school for a great many students who wanted to learn tech subjects. Before we had academic high schools and technical colleges and its time we went back to that.

Guest sanders family

Thank you moving2melbourne and forgetmenot for the web sites and the information i really appreciate this, lots of research to do thank for your time

Kim

Guest The Pom Queen
Thank you moving2melbourne and forgetmenot for the web sites and the information i really appreciate this, lots of research to do thank for your time

Kim

Hi Kim

No problem at all please feel free to pm me if you have any further questions, I have children around your age so no how important schooling is:spinny:

• 2 months later...
Guest Mark n' Manda

hi we have 4 kids 16 14 10 and 8 the 14 yr old goes to werribee secondry and the 10 and 8 yr old go to werriee primary they are quite close to each other fees are 52 dollars a term for secondry and 26 .25 dollars a term for primary there are 4 terms quite resanable dont know if thats any help

Guest *KAY TEE*
School wise you have:

Secondary:

Altona:

Hi M2M,

Sorry I havn't been on here for a bit and therefore didnt see these posts....WOW a wealth of information. Thanks M2M for all of the info you have provided this is really appriciated, it has given me a lot of stuff to look into, it is a worrying time but with all of the info provided it takes a little away. I will look at werribee seconary and primary and schools in these areas, and others as we aren't too sure where we will be at the end of the day. :yes: xx

Guest jennysmith

The Roman Catholic Schools is a good secondary school which is just located across the road from the Sanctuary Lakes Resort. Which sets an Australian benchmark in residential style appearence.The Roman Catholic School is an international standard school.

-------------------------------

Jennysmith

Influencer

Archived