Buy or Rent

Just back after 6 weeks in Oz worst goodbye ever. Been doing it 17 years now but now saying goodbye to only son and first granddaughter.We are into 4 years of a 143 visa and now looking at least another 8 years.We are now going for a 5 year 870 visa more money !The question I would like help with is, shall we buy or rent with the money from our house sale.Our ages are 77 & 69. Interest from capital from sale of UK home could go towards rental and we would then still have capital to leave our family.Buying is going to cost a lot with stamp duty and FRIB costs, also my son and family are in Sydney so prices are real high so buying we would end up with an inferior property then we have now,renting would give us a more appropriate accommodation.Please let me know your thoughts.Many thanks and best wishes to all 143 visa applicants.

The big downside of renting for me is that you could be forced to move on at any time after a rental contract comes to an end. How would you feel about a lack of property security in 10 years time?

• Like 2

Hi there,

We should have the 143 Visa in 5 years so not to worried about that, also we would move in with our son and start looking again if it happens.

The 870 5 year visa is renewable for another 5 years with my age I am not looking that far ahead.

Stay safe.

3 hours ago, Big Fordie said:

Just back after 6 weeks in Oz worst goodbye ever. Been doing it 17 years now but now saying goodbye to only son and first granddaughter.We are into 4 years of a 143 visa and now looking at least another 8 years.We are now going for a 5 year 870 visa more money !The question I would like help with is, shall we buy or rent with the money from our house sale.Our ages are 77 & 69. Interest from capital from sale of UK home could go towards rental and we would then still have capital to leave our family.Buying is going to cost a lot with stamp duty and FRIB costs, also my son and family are in Sydney so prices are real high so buying we would end up with an inferior property then we have now,renting would give us a more appropriate accommodation.Please let me know your thoughts.Many thanks and best wishes to all 143 visa applicants.

I’d be tempted to buy.  At least then you’re settled.  If you rent you could get asked to leave and then you’d have to find somewhere else and the same could happen again and again.  Do what’s best for you and don’t worry about what you leave to the family.  When you’re gone they can have what’s left but it’s yours to enjoy in whatever way you want to while you’re still here.  Re your visa choice.  Can I ask, why didn’t you go for the 864 visa.  Pretty much the same as the 143 but you could have remained in Australia on a bridging visa until it was granted. Same cost but would have saved you flight costs, heartaches and expensive 870 costs. 

• Like 1

Hi Tulip 

We weren’t in a position to do the 864 as my wife wouldn’t have left UK while her mother was still alive.

Her mother passed away just before Christmas that’s why we are doing the 870

The fares to Oz have doubled when we booked for the last flight to go over so the 870 visa price will be about the same as two flights now.

Thanks for your advice we have seen a through properties about 20 minutes from my son down towards Little Bay, as long as I can find a golf club near I be happy.

Best Wishes 

• Like 2