Applying for a 417 visa with a criminal record

Hi all

i applied for a 417 working holiday visa in December. I was honest and declared my one conviction which was in 2014 when I was 18.

it was for harassment following the breakdown of my relationship. I received a restraining order, community service and a suspended 3 month sentence.

i am really remorseful for my actions and was incredibly immature at the time.

I have since gone on to university and have a successful career.

a week later my case officer made a S56 request for further information. That was 17th December 2023 and I’ve heard nothing since.

I have read online there is a chance my application could be referred to VACCU, which could then take years to decide.

Is there any possible way I can speed this up?

Recruiters have been in touch with me and conditionally offered me short term contract work in the area I work in, and I am absolutely desperate to book a flight and give it a go.

Would really appreciate any help or similar experiences anyone can share, particularly around likely timeframes.

thank you

54 minutes ago, SoloTraveller95 said:

Hi all

i applied for a 417 working holiday visa in December. I was honest and declared my one conviction which was in 2014 when I was 18.

it was for harassment following the breakdown of my relationship. I received a restraining order, community service and a suspended 3 month sentence.

i am really remorseful for my actions and was incredibly immature at the time.

I have since gone on to university and have a successful career.

a week later my case officer made a S56 request for further information. That was 17th December 2023 and I’ve heard nothing since.

I have read online there is a chance my application could be referred to VACCU, which could then take years to decide.

Is there any possible way I can speed this up?

Recruiters have been in touch with me and conditionally offered me short term contract work in the area I work in, and I am absolutely desperate to book a flight and give it a go.

Would really appreciate any help or similar experiences anyone can share, particularly around likely timeframes.

thank you

Not what you'll want to hear, but almost certainly be referred to VACCU, especially as it is related to domestic violence, which is a huge red flag with Oz immigration, whatever the details of the offence.

And no, no way of speeding it up, they are desperately slow, and there are reports of people waiting many months or even years.

• Like 1

Afraid it's unlikely to be good news for yo, VACCU referral pretty much a certainty and they take a very dim view of any domestic violence convictions. They consider restraining order on grounds of safety domestic violence, especially when it comes with a conviction. The  VACCU process will probably take at least 6 months and potentially years. The VACCU unit is also a notorious black hole, it's very difficult to get to speak with anyone there either through email or phone. Generally, the only way they will speed an application up is on grounds of ill health or if there are strong extenuating circumstances to grant entry, unlikely to be the case for a WHV. Again, doubt it's what you want to hear but I think it's very unlikely your application would be approved. Australia imposed what is essentially an outright ban on anyone with a domestic violence conviction from entering the country in 2019. Just think it's best to be honest about your chances before you go chucking lots of time, effort and money at it. 

Edited by Daffyduck
Clarification/typo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Daffyduck said:

Afraid it's unlikely to be good news for yo, VACCU referral pretty much a certainty and they take a very dim view of any domestic violence convictions. They consider restraining order on grounds of safety domestic violence, especially when it comes with a conviction. The  VACCU process will probably take at least 6 months and potentially years. The VACCU unit is also a notorious black hole, it's very difficult to get to speak with anyone there either through email or phone. Generally, the only way they will speed an application up is on grounds of ill health or if there are strong extenuating circumstances to grant entry, unlikely to be the case for a WHV. Again, doubt it's what you want to hear but I think it's very unlikely your application would be approved. Australia imposed what is essentially an outright ban on anyone with a domestic violence conviction from entering the country in 2019. Just think it's best to be honest about your chances before you go chucking lots of time, effort and money at it. 

In 2021, a friend of mine consulted a very reputable agent about a domestic violence issue. In the home country it was probably the equivalent of a long-spent caution, in the UK it would've been laughed out of court. Friend only wanted a 3 month tourist visa. 

The agent estimated a fee of a couple of thousand dollars, at least, and potentially a 2 year wait, with very little guarantee of success, followed by an appeal taking 2-3 years, still with no guarantee. And I gather timings are now even longer. 

Friend went to Thailand instead 😄

10 hours ago, Nemesis said:

In 2021, a friend of mine consulted a very reputable agent about a domestic violence issue. In the home country it was probably the equivalent of a long-spent caution, in the UK it would've been laughed out of court. Friend only wanted a 3 month tourist visa. 

The agent estimated a fee of a couple of thousand dollars, at least, and potentially a 2 year wait, with very little guarantee of success, followed by an appeal taking 2-3 years, still with no guarantee. And I gather timings are now even longer. 

Friend went to Thailand instead 😄

It can be done. FIL was referred to VACCU as he had a caution for a domestic issue (non violent) but it still came with the tag line "domestic abuse aggravator". He has terminal cancer and had a very narrow window for coming out so we sent pleading emails to the minister for immigration and our federal MP. Lot's of character statements and police reports also submitted to VACCU. Visa was approved within a week of sending the emails. 

The extenuating circumstances, (relatively) minor nature of the conviction and the fact it would be a one off trip would have helped but can't see them bending any rules in the case of a working holiday visa. 

• Like 1