Family advice

Graham1970

I hope some can offer advice. I will be moving to Gladstone to work, it is a 6 month probation period with the option to relocate full time. If all is well i will move my wife and daughter over. Can anyone advise if area is suitable for children and family, anything worth visiting in near towns etc, nice area to rent or near alternative to gladstone. Ulti ately i want my family to be happy if i am away working in the qld area, any and all advice welcome

Gladstone is a typical small to moderately-sized central Queensland town: you'll love it or hate it.  While the industrial bit is all smelter-y and got a nice big coal pile and a residue lake to look at, the town itself is more than that and the suburbs are pleasant.

You'll find exactly the same issues with bored teens, petty crime and vandalism in any town so don't let reports of that put you off. Gladstone has a thriving sport scene for kids and there are some lovely places nearby; we always stop in Mt Larcom when we are driving south, the bakery there is fantastic.  Agnes Water and 1770 are both tourist destinations.  Every time I've been through there's been major roadworks at Benaraby; I have no idea what they're doing there but they are taking a long time about it.  Small town QLD is a very different beast to anything metro, or indeed small town UK as the distances are way larger.  A few years ago when we were involved in the construction of Curtis Island LNG plant the house prices got ridiculously high there, I don't know whether they have fallen since but I'd imagine they have. 

What are you working as when you say alternatives to Gladstone? Do you have the option of FIFO (which comes with its own set of [dis]advantages).

• Like 1

Many thanks for your reply, 

I will be at one of the LNGs and the position will be to relocate to Gladstone or make a decision asap to stay/ not extend, i would be required to work in various locations within QLD but based Gladstone. I am not in to the fast city living anymore much prefer it a little quieter now (them party days well past me) 

If all is good i will bring the family so a place that has shopping, parks, walks/ beaches near to the home or easy to access would be good especially if i was away so the wife etc. Would feel safe and not overly bored.

If we decide to stay i would have a car so sunday drives etc would be a must or something to loomfoward to with the daughter etc.

Also even a 20 or 30 minute commute if the area is family friendly is fine

FIFO is not an option sadly so i am sure the 6 months will go pretty fast and having to organise a place etc.

I am told most rentals are between 350 to 700 per week, from 2 bed apartments to a large house with a pool

But i u derstand getting a place is not an easy task

We normally have a few visits to Gladstone each year, it ist a bad place, people seem nice and friendly and there seems to be lots for kids to do too. We personally prefer to stay in Tannum Sands or Boyne Island as hubby likes the easy access to the beach ,both are a very reasonable communte into Gladstone and well worth looking at if you would be working in Gladstone.

Cal x

• Like 1