Area`s to avoid in melbourne

Guest WEZLY80

Guest WEZLY80

Hi guys im moving to Melbourne later this year and ive been reading a few threads on nice places to live in Melbourne but i havent really read much about the bad ones. Can anyone tell me about which areas to avoid and how bad are they compared to areas in British cities.

depends on you and your family needs really!

what are you looking for? People class the western suburbs as a "BAD AREA" as its full of working class people not as nice as the older parts of Melbourne.

Footscray is classed as a bad area as its full of Asians

St Kilda is classed as a bed area as it has alot of street walkers, drugs etc

Fitzroy, Collingwood the list goes on but i can show you nice areas of all these areas as well. It all depends on you and your needs.

You really need to visit these areas for yourself as Im sure you can understand good post though

Geoffrey

Guest The Pom Queen

I totally agree with Geoffrey, there are suburbs which people on these groups love and I hate, there are suburbs that I love and others hate. We all have different thoughts and ideas of what we want and until you come and visit for yourself no one can give you the answer you require.

I suppose it also depends on where you live in the UK, we came from Manchester and I can tell you now that the suburbs here that I have visited or stayed in are not as bad as parts of Manchester.

Someone the other day was saying that although Frankston has a bad rep compared to where they lived in the UK it was perfect.

I agree that it's all about taste, but play it safe and avoid the previously mentioned areas. We got off to a bad start here and still have the sour taste in our mouths! Definately avoid Abbotsford and Collingwood as well. Kew doesn't seem too bad and is close to the city. It's certainly the only area close to the city that I know of to recommend - i'm sure someone else will point out other nicer parts. I think once you move away from the city the suburbs become much the same, although I don't particularly like Dandenong either.

I disagree with the post about the western suburbs. They have a reputation as being "working class scum", but I think things are changing over there. We have been spending quite a bit of time over there the last few weeks and some of the areas are much nicer than many of the eastern suburbs. This is mainly due to the fact that there is still land to expand on over there so lots of brand new houses, schools, etc, which brings with it lots of people with money.

I disagree with the post about the western suburbs. They have a reputation as being "working class scum", but I think things are changing over there..

I disagree along with you about my post, (meaning i agree with you)

your a fine example of what i'm talking about (in a good way) i think you had a brief look at the west and moved on not liking it. After looking around at alot of other areas you have chosen the west to live or its a top runner in places to live, im i correct?

You could of listened to the others and never gone back for a 2nd look!

The west i dont think deserves the title that it has. So that makes my point people need to see the place for themselves and not to believe everything they read.

When are we getting an update on Melbourne??? Need to know if you have found some nice places to eat, have your views changed of the CBD?? and now you have been there a few months are things still as expensive as you 1st thought they were or are you finding it the same/better or worse than the UK?

I find your posts very informative as you give both sides of the coin

take care

Geoffrey

There are plenty of well heeled bad neighbours as well as not so well heeled bad neighbours.

I think it depends what you are used to where you will like. I do not like flat land, like it to undulating so western side not for me.

It also depends where you are going to work, how long you want to spend travelling to work.

Thirty minutes was our limit and so we picked somewhere thirty minutes from work that we liked, was undulating and close to beaches and other things we liked.

I like a cross section of age groups young middle aged and old, do not like to live in an area with lots of similar aged people.

I would not buy in Frankston North, Hampton Park, Cranbourne or any new area where you the builders are still building because if you have to sell in a hurry then you are in competition with the builders still and its cheaper for people to buy land and build they save the stamp duty as its reduced. So unless you want stick around till the area becomes older not much growth in capital terms.

Guest Hello Kitty

Some of the best suburbs (most desirable) in Melbourne are:

In Inner to middle Eastern suburbs:

Toorak (Most expensive)

Armadale

Kew

Camberwell

Canterbury

Hawthorn

South Yarra

These are all beautiful leafy, affluent eastern suburbs.

Bayside:

Brighton (most expensive by the bay)

Elwood

Sandringham

Hampton

East Brighton

Black Rock

Beaumaris

Williamstown (west of city)

These are all affluent suburbs by the bay

Some middle to pricey suburbs that are popular but not too far from the city are:

McKinnon

Bentleigh

Ormond

Elsternwick

Caulfield

Glen Iris

Surrey Hills

Essendon

Mt. Eliza

Mornington

Other nice suburbs are Eltham, Warrandyte, templestowe further out to the east.

Some inner city suburbs close to the CBD are: (all desirable and expensive)

Richmond

Carlton

Parkville

Port Melbourne

St. Kilda

Middle Park

South Melbourne

Suburbs I would avoid are:

Noble Park

Dandenong

Clayton

Hampton Park

Cranbourne

Frankston

Broadmeadows

Footscray

Sunshine (nice name - not nice place)

I haven't touched on western and northern suburbs as I don't know these areas well at all.

Guest WEZLY80

Thanks guys there are some really great replies there its given me a good idea of the areas. Im 27 and single so i would be more than likely getting a one or two bedroom flat probably quite close to the CBD i was thinking of St Kilda. Myself at the moment i live in Birmingham where i would say around 80% of the areas are run down and quite a number of them are no go areas if you walk in one side, you will be walking out the other wearing just your pants and socks thats if you make it out at all lol! But it seems in Melbourne is the other way round 80% nice areas and 20% bad or am i just looking at it with rose tinted glasses.

Guest melba
Thanks guys there are some really great replies there its given me a good idea of the areas. Im 27 and single so i would be more than likely getting a one or two bedroom flat probably quite close to the CBD i was thinking of St Kilda. Myself at the moment i live in Birmingham where i would say around 80% of the areas are run down and quite a number of them are no go areas if you walk in one side, you will be walking out the other wearing just your pants and socks thats if you make it out at all lol! But it seems in Melbourne is the other way round 80% nice areas and 20% bad or am i just looking at it with rose tinted glasses.

Myself & my boyfriend are about the same age as you & are moving over in about two weeks. We're thinking St Kilda too, I've been before-but only briefly - & really liked it. Hopefully once we've had a proper walk around we will have a good idea of the best/worst parts of St Kilda, because as everyone says there are good & bad parts of any area, of any city no matter whether you're in Oz or England!

I know what you're saying about Birmingham, I'm in Nottingham & there are SO many bad areas, & to get to the nice areas you have to go through all the bad areas!!

I'm hoping that there will be a higher percentage of nice areas compared to bad in Melbourne. I'll put on my rose tinted glasses too Haha!! :cute:

Seriously though, I'll let you know how we find it all in a few weeks & give you our view on St Kilda then.

Guest Hello Kitty

I would recommend Port Melbourne for you as an option.

Port Melbourne is 5 km's from the CBD. It is next to the beach and has a bike/walking track that goes for miles and miles.

There is a light rail that goes from Port Melbourne straight into the city.

There are lots of nice apartments and new developments there.

Bay Street is the main shopping street which has everything you need.

Very close to St. Kilda but not as seedy. St. Kilda is okay in parts but tends to attract some suspect people.

Here are some pictures of Beacon Cove which is the new part of Port Melbourne where all the apartments are.

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2004-17,RNWE:en&q=beacon+cove+port+melbourne+pictures&um=1&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Guest Wallace
what are you looking for? People class the western suburbs as a "BAD AREA" as its full of working class people not as nice as the older parts of Melbourne.

Footscray is classed as a bad area as its full of Asians

What do you mean by the above comment Geoffrey? Footscray is classed as a bad area as its full of asians?? Perhaps you could elaborate on that? Is this your opinion or what you have been told by other people? Its a rather brave comment to make because you are insinuating that its a bad area because asian people live there and surely that is a racial attack on asian origin people?! Which is pretty ignorant really.

What do you mean by the above comment Geoffrey? Footscray is classed as a bad area as its full of asians?? Perhaps you could elaborate on that? Is this your opinion or what you have been told by other people? Its a rather brave comment to make because you are insinuating that its a bad area because asian people live there and surely that is a racial attack on asian origin people?! Which is pretty ignorant really.

Asians in Australia are chinese, vietnamese etc It is a fact not an opinion on Footscray. That said people in the west will class Footscray as a bad area, I am Australian and spent many years in and around these areas. I couldn't care less who I live next too! Say hello smile be nice thats all I want out of a neighbour colour of skin has nothing to do with it!

I live in Blackburn at the minute, now thats full of Asian people and people told me not to move here because of that reason alone. Did I listen? No I made up my own mind.

As I said in my post "People say" and I also said "you need to go and visit these areas and make up your own mind" or something along those lines.

Before you have a go at me and call me ignorant and that I'm racially attacking Asian people read my other posts.

Geoffrey

Guest Pinhead
Asians in Australia are chinese, vietnamese etc It is a fact not an opinion on Footscray. That said people in the west will class Footscray as a bad area, I am Australian and spent many years in and around these areas. I couldn't care less who I live next too! Say hello smile be nice thats all I want out of a neighbour colour of skin has nothing to do with it!

I live in Blackburn at the minute, now thats full of Asian people and people told me not to move here because of that reason alone. Did I listen? No I made up my own mind.

As I said in my post "People say" and I also said "you need to go and visit these areas and make up your own mind" or something along those lines.

Before you have a go at me and call me ignorant and that I'm racially attacking Asian people read my other posts.

Geoffrey

Well said Geoffrey.

Guest jimmy76
Myself & my boyfriend are about the same age as you & are moving over in about two weeks. We're thinking St Kilda too, I've been before-but only briefly - & really liked it. Hopefully once we've had a proper walk around we will have a good idea of the best/worst parts of St Kilda, because as everyone says there are good & bad parts of any area, of any city no matter whether you're in Oz or England!

I know what you're saying about Birmingham, I'm in Nottingham & there are SO many bad areas, & to get to the nice areas you have to go through all the bad areas!!

I'm hoping that there will be a higher percentage of nice areas compared to bad in Melbourne. I'll put on my rose tinted glasses too Haha!! :cute:

Seriously though, I'll let you know how we find it all in a few weeks & give you our view on St Kilda then.

Hi Guys, I'm glad i've found this thread, my GF & I are just looking for somewhere to move to in Melbourne when we arrive on 9 Sept. We're young(ish) and prefer an urban environment rather than the burbs. We lived in East London(Shoreditch) for a while last year and loved it. We had a reccie around Melbourne in Feb and stayed in South Yarra which ticked all boxes for us as it was bang in between the CBD(work) and St Kilda(play) You could also walk down to the market & shops on Chapel St as well as having Fawkner Park, Albert Park and Bot gardens accessible by a short tram ride/longer walk. Our only reservation is the price of properties around there, we may end up moving further out to compensate the rent, in what direction we have no idea!

The other place we quite liked was Fitzroy around Brunswick Street but realise this will be a little Raw for everyone's taste! We didn't have time to explore further up towards Charlton so i've no idea what that holds?

Do let us know how things go for you, any help would be massively appreciated!!:wacko: Jimmy

Guest Pinhead
Thanks Ian

You've lived in Melbourne what were you told about Footscray?

Geoffrey

I was pretty much told what you've said. The nicest areas of Melbourne were SE of the CBD predominately along the bay or Toorak,etc slightly in land.

I've only driven through Footscray by default along the highway, a lot or the area immediatley West of the CBD looks quite industrial. So on first appearances it wouldn't be on the top of your list.

On the bad side Frankston always got a slating, 'full of Ferals' was the comment. Then again they said that about Adelaide:biglaugh:

Of the suburbs I've been to Chelsea, Bon Beach, Carrum, Sandringham, St kilda are all very nice. Anywhere on the coast is going to be expensive though. My travel was limited to a certain extent to train & trams lines. Williamstown away from the industial part is lovely too.

Personally I stick to South of the Yarra if you're not looking West. It's certainly noticable the difference when you travel down the tram line to Chappel Street.

I'd love to live along the coast on the east side of the bay or right in the Dandedongs but only in my later years. I'm heading for the CBD.

Guest melba

My current flatmate (in England) lived in South Yarra for a while & loved it - he said it has everything, shops, cafes, restaurants etc - so that's on our list for a recce too.

Guest gary12

Hello Kitty you said 'Other nice suburbs are Eltham, Warrandyte, templestowe further out to the east'

We are heading to Warrandyte in January can you tell me anymore about it? We are registering our son (5yrs) in Warrandyte primary, do you know anything about it? I know it is fairly small (250 pupils) but even this will be huge to our son who is at the moment in a primary of only 35 children.

thanks

Michelle

Warrandyte is a nice area but not near the bay of course.

Other areas people have not mentioned are Bulleen, Rosanna, Doncaster, Templestowe.

Balwyn, Box Hill, Burwood, Mount Waverley they are undulating suburbs and lots of trees. Now we have the Eastlink Freeway easy to get to the beaches if required.

I am a sea lover so I have to be near the sea so these suburbs would not suit me.

My ace suburbs are South Melbourne, St Kilda Elwood, Brighton, Sandringham, Hampton, Black Rock, Beaumaris, Mentone, Parkdale, Mordialloc, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Bon Beach, Carrum, Seaford Frankston South, Mount Eliza Mornington Mount Martha going from the nearest to the city to about the most people would commute. All are close to the bay and you need to be on the beach side of the Nepean Highway.

I disagree along with you about my post, (meaning i agree with you)

your a fine example of what i'm talking about (in a good way)

Thanks.... I think :smile:

After looking around at alot of other areas you have chosen the west to live or its a top runner in places to live, im i correct?

Pretty much sums it up!

So that makes my point people need to see the place for themselves and not to believe everything they read.

Exactly.... good point to make.

When are we getting an update on Melbourne???

I feel one brewing :biglaugh:. Any day now!

Archived