Can a barber pass the hairdressing Vetassess test?

David Murray

• 2 weeks later...

From one og my novels:

Rene is a genius. He persuades the ladies that his services are worth twice the price charged by other hairdressers who are mere women. Seventy-five not out. They pull their heads out of the oven and shuffle home with their few strands tinted purple and their pension gone. They think he is French and gay. He is Italian, with a fat wife and nine kids. He does men too, he whispers in their ears, but he prefers women. Albert put me onto him when I was complaining about shampoos and scalp massages, blow dryers, hair spray, the extravaganza of concoctions and unhelpful comments—You are getting a bit thin on top sir— and no hair cut. I was waiting my turn. Rene had Clarke Gable in the chair. Impossible. The likeness was perfect. The haircut was perfect. ‘Rene, can you duplicate Errol Flynn?’ ‘I'll trim your legs at the knees.’ Quicker than I can say in Italian; he did it for me. Short back and sides. See you in a month. Whatever the client needs, Rene does it.

• Like 1