What does AoS Assurance of Support mean/entail?

pgeorge

Hi, 

I'm about to apply for the Contributory visa 143 for my parents. I understand that I have to provide an AoS bond to support the visa application. I was just looking for some clarity with regard to what this AoS or Assurance of Support bond entails. As I understand, from the form 47PA, I got this description:

"Assurance of Support (AoS) bond is provided by an assurer. It is a legal commitment undertaken by the assurer to repay the Australian Government certain welfare payments, including unemployment benefits and family payments made by Services Australia to persons granted a parent visa until 10 years"

My question is -  are Medicare costs included in the "certain"  welfare costs (made by Services Australia) to be repaid by AoS bond assurer? What I mean is - After I bring my parents on the 143 visa, will I, as the AoS bond assurer, have to repay all Medicare costs incurred by my parents in the first 10 years of getting the visa? That would defeat the purpose of bringing them here on such an expensive visa. 

Just asking this question here are I didnt have that clarity.

Thanks

thanks @Tulip1but I do not think the waiting time for 143 visa is 15/20 years. This is the Contributory Parent visa 143/173/884/864 and NOT like the normal Parent visa 103/804. The waiting time as published on the immi.homeaffairs.gov.au website is as below. So it works out to be 6 years - queue release date currently is Aug 2016.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in making this understanding. Thanks.

image.png.2065fba15eb94843be1906162c313dda.png

Edited by pgeorge

18 minutes ago, pgeorge said:

thanks @Tulip1but I do not think the waiting time for 143 visa is 15/20 years. This is the Contributory Parent visa 143/173/884/864 and NOT like the normal Parent visa 103/804. The waiting time as published on the immi.homeaffairs.gov.au website is as below. So it works out to be 6 years - queue release date currently is Aug 2016.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in making this understanding. Thanks.

image.png.2065fba15eb94843be1906162c313dda.png

What is published on the site is the waiting time for those currently I’m the queue.  They are now dealing with those who applied on 2106 but if applying today then you are looking at 15 years minimum.  The site is misleading I agree but please know that sadly your wait will not be 6 years.  More like 3 x that. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply @Tulip1, but would you pls let me know on what basis you came to know that the wait is 15 years and not 6 or 25. What I mean to ask is whether you speak from experience or yourself or someone else you knew who applied for the 143?

Also, do you know of any other visa or way to bring parents to Australia in 6-7 years max?

Edited by pgeorge

Kindly advise on when I would have to submit the AoS bond if I apply for the Contributory Parent visa 143 now? Will I have to submit the bond only during the time of second installment when the visa is going to be granted? Or will I have to submit the AoS bond now, along with the application?

Many thanks

3 hours ago, pgeorge said:

Kindly advise on when I would have to submit the AoS bond if I apply for the Contributory Parent visa 143 now? Will I have to submit the bond only during the time of second installment when the visa is going to be granted? Or will I have to submit the AoS bond now, along with the application?

Many thanks

You submit it at the end.  

16 hours ago, pgeorge said:

Thanks for your reply @Tulip1, but would you pls let me know on what basis you came to know that the wait is 15 years and not 6 or 25. What I mean to ask is whether you speak from experience or yourself or someone else you knew who applied for the 143?

Also, do you know of any other visa or way to bring parents to Australia in 6-7 years max?

77k applications for CPVs as at 31 July 2022 (I've done a Freedom of Information request of the Government and got details about 10 days ago).

How many to be granted in years to come?

7k maybe (that's been the typical number in previous years) - or the new Immigration Minister might be responsive to overtures and pleadings from CPV applicants and their families in Australia by increasing the annual quota (10k?   20k?).

I think 15 years is too pessimistic.

6 years is unrealistic given the present parent visa program settings.

As to strategy - an onshore parent visa application maybe, if one of the parents is aged (as defined).

Happy to have a freebie chat; feel able to contact me by email (see below).

Best regards.

• Like 1