Best suburbs & schools around Bunbury

theleggates

Hi, we are just starting the PR visa process and have job offers in Bunbury so was wondering what areas would be good for a family with primary school aged kids. Most housing I am seeing seems to be in Australind or Dalyellup so wondering how the schools are in those areas and how they are for general safety/crime? Any advice would be much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

They're both very similar in terms of beautiful beaches close by, and well connected to Bunbury.

Dalyellup is a fairly new development, with houses still being built around it. Their schools and shops are fairly modern, and they've built a big retail centre in the last 4-5 years. There's also a Gravity trampoline activity centre which my nephews (11 and 😎 love. When I visit there's always groups of kids at the play parks and walking to the beach etc, so it appears pretty safe. You're also on the right side to visit Peppermint Grove Beach and Busselton which are amazing spots.

Australind is a town, as opposed to Dalyellup which is a purpose-built development of houses. If you like boating and fishing you have the estuary. Bunbury golf club is also very popular and located in Australind. Perhaps a little more dated than Dalyellup. The main street is also a busy road, but plenty of houses overlooking the estuary and off the main drag. There are some amazing big houses and blocks of land in Australind.

I can't comment on schools, but I suggest contacting them individually and asking for a prospectus. There's lots of school buses that go through both Dalyellup and Australind.

I hope this helps. I grew up in Bunbury, and the South West is a beautiful place to be. If you love the beachy outdoor lifestyle you're in the right place. Best of luck with your visas.

On 10/08/2022 at 03:59, theleggates said:

Hi, we are just starting the PR visa process and have job offers in Bunbury so was wondering what areas would be good for a family with primary school aged kids. Most housing I am seeing seems to be in Australind or Dalyellup so wondering how the schools are in those areas and how they are for general safety/crime? Any advice would be much appreciated!

I lived in BY for a few years as a kid. (long time ago) We almost bought a house several years ago there, so have maintained an 'interest' in the city and what is going down there. Very glad a few later did not. It has a major drug problem around the manufacture and use of Ice (meth) sadly. This has resulted in some social issues. 

Dalyellup has 10% government housing from memory (part of government deal with developer) I've heard it is more than that though and associated problems around that. Somewhat sprawling though and driving around it , I remarked it would not be a place I would want to live. For example an acquaintance told me that the break in rate was quite high. (He was a former Ice addict, and now clear, but said very easy to obtain there as well. (all Bunbury ) 

I'm not familiar in recent times with Australind. When lived in Bunbury as a child it was a separate town. Now pretty much a suburb of Bunbury  so assume similar issues prevail.