186 Visa from 482 - Medicare

Hi all,

Here is the context: I am currently on 482 medium term (4-years) visa. I have lodged my 186 DE visa application recently and received the acknowledgement receipt PDF from the immigration department. I learned that I am eligible to apply for Medicare.

Now my question is: Since my current 482 visa requires me to maintain a suitable health insurance (mine costs around AUD 350 per month for the family), if I am given Medicare, will this requirement be dissolved? I mean if I get Medicare I would like to discontinue the private health insurance. Is it possible? Or do I have to continue overseas health insurance till my 186 DE visa application is approved? 

This question may sound naïve, but I am really confused here. Can you please let me know where to get the exact information from? 

Cheers.

T86

3 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Once you have a full Medicare card you don’t need health cover as a visa requirement.  Whether you decide to keep it is up to you.  People who are entitled to reciprocal Medicare from UK don’t need it once they have registered for example.

Thanks!

Do I have to notify/inform the department for this change, or it would not be necessary?