Phone Call from Australian High Comission

ljwalvin

Hi,

My mum who is the holder of a 143 visa has recently sponsored my dad for a 309/100 visa. He had a phone call this afternoon and said that my mum needed to apply for a 155 visa as her 143 had expired for the visa to be granted. He also received an email from an email address with a @dfat.gov.au domain with a link to the 155 visa application. I then proceeded to log onto my dad's immi account but there was no correspondence from anyone but my mum's sponsorship seemed to have been approved. As such, I was wondering if anyone could advise on whether a sponsor needs a current visa visa for a 100 visa to be granted.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

To sponsor someone for a partner visa, you need to be an "Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen" where Australian permanent resident means "a non-citizen who, being usually resident in Australia, is the holder of a permanent visa."

So, yes, she needs to hold an in-effect permanent visa to be a sponsor. Based on what you write, I assume she is offshore?

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply. She is onshore at the moment but my dad is offshore at the moment. He did get RFI a few days after lodging and he was confused why the high commission was ringing him-All good if everything is legitimate then!

Oh well, we ended up paying for her 155 renewal and it was granted immediately. He did come to Aus to visit us a few months ago but I don't think that would make any difference. Anyhow, nothing else we can do now other than waiting! Thanks for your input anyway Paul!

Hi Paul,

Just wanted to let you know that they do request for an in effect visa for onshore sponsors as well-Not sure why as I missed the phone call from DFAT. A direct 100 subclass visa was granted today and wait time was approximately 4 months.