Family Visa Help

marblu69

Hi All

My partner was born in Oz in 1969 but left after 3 months, she has not been back since. We have 9 year old twins together, both them and my partner have Spanish passports, myself a UK one.

I understand that they could all apply for Australian passports without a problem, but I would need to apply for a Partner Visa 

As we are considering making the move to Oz in the near future, is it easier for me to apply for the visa here (Spain) or wait until we are in Australia ? Would I be able to work at all while waiting for the visa ?

Finally, regarding receiving funds, would these be taxed at all once we arrive there if transferred from a relative ? 

Many thanks in advance !

24 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Right now, it is easier and quicker to apply in Spain.     Partner visas are being approved much faster than normal so it's worth taking advantage of.  You have to wait in Spain until it comes through.

If you are just transferring your savings to Australia then there is no tax payable. 

Thanks for your reply - Do you know roughly how long it takes and is there a timeframe from receiving the visa to when I have to arrive in Australia ?

Thanks again 

1 hour ago, marblu69 said:

Thanks for your reply - Do you know roughly how long it takes and is there a timeframe from receiving the visa to when I have to arrive in Australia ?

Not sure how long it's taking right now.  However once you get the visa, you have to activate the visa within a year - which just means you have to visit Australia.  Then you have another four years to make the final move.