Brisbane or Adelaide - You Decide

Guest Dave_Asher

Guest Dave_Asher

Hi all,

Just had an assessment done for the old points total and nearly cried, can't get the 120 for a skilled independent visa so advised to go for a SIR visa in Adelaide/SA instead. Problem! We had our hearts set on Brisbane or the surrounding area as there seems to be so much said on how wonderful it is there and how much everyone enjoys it. No matter how hard I look or talk to other members on the other forums I just don’t seem to get the same feedback about Adelaide, it’s as if there is something people are trying to hide about the place, it’s not just me but the other half is getting the same vibs. So the question is this, do I go to for the SA option where you can live/work in any part of the state or the Brisbane option and be tied to certain areas. Your help would be much appreciated. Oh yeh I am from an IT background and this may have a bearing on the outcome. Thanks in advanced.

Regards

Dave

Hi all,

Just had an assessment done for the old points total and nearly cried, can't get the 120 for a skilled independent visa so advised to go for a SIR visa in Adelaide/SA instead. Problem! We had our hearts set on Brisbane or the surrounding area as there seems to be so much said on how wonderful it is there and how much everyone enjoys it. No matter how hard I look or talk to other members on the other forums I just don’t seem to get the same feedback about Adelaide, it’s as if there is something people are trying to hide about the place, it’s not just me but the other half is getting the same vibs. So the question is this, do I go to for the SA option where you can live/work in any part of the state or the Brisbane option and be tied to certain areas. Your help would be much appreciated. Oh yeh I am from an IT background and this may have a bearing on the outcome. Thanks in advanced.

Regards

Dave

Personally if I had to choose, I would choose Brisbane. But that's probably due to the fact that I have lived there before and sorta call it home now. I have only ever holidayed in Adelaide.

You might not be getting much of a vibe about Adelaide due to it being smaller and less popular, compared to most other major aussie cities. Keep in mind as well, most people probably have never even been to Adelaide. I know I haven't met many people who have.

Often people will hear something negative about a city/suburb and then the majority will take it as gospel, when in actual fact cities/suburbs are a personal thing - some people will love Adelaide, others will hate it - just like anywhere really.

Adelaide's climate is nice, it does have some great beaches/scenic drives and the people in my opinion are friendlier there than say in Melbourne/Sydney.

With the influx of immigrants, I'm sure the chances of securing a job in Adelaide will only increase too. I would not be surprised if the city booms in the next 5 - 15 years, as people are looking for that cheaper alternative to sydney, also the South Australian Govt seems very keen on attracting new residents. This will help if you're new, as chances are you'll met others who have recently been through the same process and know what homesickness etc feels like.

If a Regional Visa to Adelaide were my only way to move, I would do it and rent there to see if I liked it. If I still had my heart set on Brissie after the 2 years, I would move there. 2 years will go by very fast when settling into a new country. (well time is going fast for me anyway). :wink:

Guest JohnKelly
....If a Regional Visa to Adelaide were my only way to move, I would do it and rent there to see if I liked it. If I still had my heart set on Brissie after the 2 years, I would move there. 2 years will go by very fast when settling into a new country....

I agree with Mark.

Australia is a big country, from the cooler parts of the south to the tropical parts of the north and if you don't like one part then move.

Cheers.

Guest Dave_Asher

Thanks for that Guys, Iwas under the impression that I had to live and work for 4 years in the same area/state, 2 years on a SIR then another 2 when applying for your PR. Does this mean that after the initial 2 years on an SIR I could move to another state or am I getting confused :shock: which would not be to dificult :wink:

Thanks

Dave

Thanks for that Guys, Iwas under the impression that I had to live and work for 4 years in the same area/state, 2 years on a SIR then another 2 when applying for your PR. Does this mean that after the initial 2 years on an SIR I could move to another state or am I getting confused :shock: which would not be to dificult :wink:

Thanks

Dave

I just presumed you would be able to move interstate after 2 years. Maybe you can't become a Citizen after only 2 years on a Regional Visa... Perhaps someone knows here?

(I only have basic knowlege of the migration process, having never been through it myself).

Guest Dave_Asher

Thanks Mark,

Going to the Opportunities Abroad show next month so hope to find out more options. Would love to move to Brisbane but am trying to work out the areas and post codes that I would have to live in for the 2 years. Have the list of postcodes from IMMI.com and have some map locations giving details of those areas but just have to tie them all together and work out the best plan of action.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Dave Asher

There is a good site called AdelaideBrits which is very informative and gives good overall view of Adelaide.

Chris

:wink:

Guest bob and ginnie

South Australia (Adelaide) is different from Queensland (Brisbane). It takes a while for outsiders to appreciate the finer differences between the various States of Australia . . . . their different housing styles, climate (drier or wetter), tropical or temperate, white sandy beaches or golden, tropical palm trees or English trees planted by the early settlers down your street. . . you can go on and on!

I and my wife have both lived in Brisbane . . . and we both loved the place. The climate was spectacular, the beaches superb, the people friendly . . . . a paradise.

However, my wife's a South Australian and we drifted back to her roots and brought our three kids up here in the Adelaide Hills. Here, the climate is drier and sunny, not so hot (except in summer), the sea water cooler. Adelaide isn't everyone's cup of tea. Some folks complain about it being too laid back and like a big country town. They seem to hanker for the big city.

Coming from London, I can visit "big city" any time. I can hop on a plane and spend a month with my rellies in London. I have cousins in Sydney and Melbourne, so can visit "big city" there.

I chose not to live in the congestion and rush. I don't mind visiting it, but when I've had enough, I come back to "laid back" Adelaide where I look out my window and watch parrots grazing on my lawn. My neighbour is 300 yards away (we live rural Adelaide Hills) and my beef cows are up to their knees at this time of year in pasture.

Adelaide grows on you. It's not for everyone. If you complain about the laid back lifestyle here, then go back to the rush and congestion of big city . . . . Sydney, Melbourne, or even London!

If you can handle London, then maybe Sydney or Melbourne is for you. If not, check out Adelaide . . or Brisbane . . . or Perth.

Australia is big enough to offer heaps of choices. . . . . but Adelaide will grow on you. It has lots of facilites . . .3 universities, heaps of shopping malls and stores, big shopping centres with 200 shops/department stores in each, cheaper housing than the Eastern States, a booming economy with the lowest unemployment rate in Australia, building projects going on all over the place.

I am from adelaide, and whilst it may not be the best city, I prefer it over brisbane. The gold coast is great, but i think brissy is a bit rough.

If you have come to party, dont go to adelaide. Its really cool, but its like a really really big country town. Its so relaxed, so cosmopolitan, and so chilled. The beaches are great, its the cheapest city in australia andyou cannot beat the quality of life. I live in London right now, but when I have kids, I will definately go to adelaide. It hasnt been corrupted the way the other cities have.

Brissy to party. Adelaide to live.

I forgot to mention - not only is thw Barossa a 40 min drive away, the McLaren Vale wineries are virtually an adelaide suburb, and if you live close enough, out seaford rise (where they have some amazing and cheap developments on the beach) you could almost stagger home. Its brilliant!

Guest mancunian

hi Dave,

just somewhat bemused....are you saying that " points" now effect a decision as to where you can come to here? Seems over the top beauracracy.

They either want you here or they don't you would think, regardless of where you live.

Anyway, experienced living in both Adelaide and Brisbane....both lovely places but different climates....both better than Mel or Sydney....(a personal opinion, not gospel)

check this site ....http://pomsinoz.proboards51.com

Guest Dave_Asher
hi Dave,

just somewhat bemused....are you saying that " points" now effect a decision as to where you can come to here? Seems over the top beauracracy.

They either want you here or they don't you would think, regardless of where you live.

Anyway, experienced living in both Adelaide and Brisbane....both lovely places but different climates....both better than Mel or Sydney....(a personal opinion, not gospel)

check this site ....http://pomsinoz.proboards51.com

Hi mancunian,

Yes, points do effect whether you can/can't emigrate as well as where you can live. If you get the 120 points for an independent visa then you can live/work anywhere in OZ. If like me and can only get about 110 then a way to qualify is to get a State to sponsor you, which is a lower point’s test.

For Queensland you also have to ensure that the job you are applying for is on the states regional jobs in demand list. Adelaide is different as it is the only state that will sponsor you to live and work anywhere in the state.

That’s my understanding from talking to agents and trawling the net.

Regards

Dave

Guest Dave_Asher

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in replying but have been away, due to work.

Thanks bob and ginnie, for the info, have added the forum to my list

Thank you ozgal for the info.

My mind is overflowing with information provide by you all and from what I have downloaded from the net. I have an idea on what I want to do but just need to finalise everything before I start the ball in motion.

Again thank you all for your replies.

Regards

Dave

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I lived in Adelaide for 18 years until last year and will be returning there this year with my lovely new English wife, yippee! I have visited Brisbane and had a good look around, and also know the Gold Coast - so here are my thoughts.

Brisbane is a lot warmer in winter (as in shorts most days!) , but very humid and tropical in summer. Adelaide's winters are cool and wettish, summers are a mixture of warm, hot and boiling - but never the latter for very long.

Adelaide is less brash, more English, less vibrant, but remember - it's a city of 1 million people, it's cosmopolitan, varied and has many beautiful spots. Don't listen to East-coasters who rubbish it - most have never been there. It has a fabulous outdoor lifestyle and all the entertainment you would expect from a city of its size.

In Adelaide, you can choose to be really close to the beach - Brisbane's beaches are a little more outlying.

There's loads more to compare, but I won't go on about it. I'll just say that I totally recommend Adelaide. The rest of SA is sparsely populated, and unless you like remoteness, stick with the city.

Finally, I'm an IT person too. Adelaide is not as well off as the other cities for IT positions, but there is still plenty around. It pays less than the East Coast, but then house prices are much lower.

Bill

Archived