PR Parent and Applying for Passport for Baby

mikesmyth

hi all,

I wanted to apply for my son's passport who was born in AU last year and was checking the passport requirements on the website here. The thing that is getting me confused is where it says that i need to provide  evidence that the child is an Australian citizen.

I thought just providing birth certificate would be enough, but it says I can show my child is a citizen by  showing

I would assume that the third is the option I should be going for. But in there it says

If you were born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 and one of your parents was an Australian citizen on the day you were born, then you can prove your citizenship by showing us your own full birth certificate and:

• your parent's full birth certificate that shows your parent was born in Australia before 20 August 1986, or
  • your parent's Australian passport issued on or after 20 August 1986 that was valid for at least two years and issued before you were born, or
  • your parent's Australian citizenship certificate that shows they acquired citizenship before you were born.

Now I am not a citizen (yet). So how do I go about this process?

Please help.

Thank you

ms

Edited by mikesmyth

4 hours ago, NickyNook said:

You should be going for the first option. 

You need to get an Australian Citizenship certificate for your child.

Thank you, I will apply for the certificate.

I might have made it complicated, because when I applied for my citizenship, I included his name as well and it says in the first page

" Do not apply for a certificate if you are applying for citizenship. You will receive a certificate if your application is approved and you become a new citizen. "

Does that mean I cannot apply for his certificate anymore?

You don’t need to apply for citizenship for your son. He is already a citizen as he was born in Australia to a parent with PR. He just needs a citizenship certificate to prove it. 

Can you modify your own citizenship application to remove him from it? I’d have thought it will only cause confusion all round otherwise.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

You don’t need to apply for citizenship for your son. He is already a citizen as he was born in Australia to a parent with PR. He just needs a citizenship certificate to prove it. 

Can you modify your own citizenship application to remove him from it? I’d have thought it will only cause confusion all round otherwise.

Ill try to give that a shot, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...