RRV

Lindsey Marie

Hi 

I am needing advice on getting an RRV on a 189 visa that expired in February 2021.

In March 2016 me, my husband and 2 children were granted a 189 visa  and in April 2016 we went to live in Perth, Western Australia.  We intended to live there permanently but because the economy was struggling in Perth at that time, we decided to return home, September 2016 in the hope we would return back to Australia before our visas expired.  

Due to one thing and another we have stayed in the UK longer than we intended, the main reason was my daughter was diagnosed with Developmental Language Disorder and we were not sure of the support she could receive in Australia to be able to support her learning disability.  Last year I booked for me and my daughter a flight to Perth 15th March 2020, so we could visit some schools so we could check that they would be able to meet her needs.  I had to cancel our trip because my son broke his arm on the 28th February 2020 and needed an operation and also at the same time the Pandemic happened.  We intended to move back to Perth by autumn 2020 but because of closed borders and limited flights going out of the UK, we have not been able to return.  Our visa travel facility expired in February 2021 and we are still wanting to return to Australia.  

Could anyone advise us what our options are, we are lost at the minute as information on the Australia government website does not seem very clear.

Thanks

An RRV may be an option, but you will need to demonstrate that you have substantial ties to Australia, which are beneficial to Australia. Your reasons for absence do not become relevant until you have been away for more than 5 years. I suggest that you get some professional advice tailored to your specific circumstances to understand your options and what would be needed for a successful application.