i need help

Guest edge

Hi.. can anyone help... we are currently living in Kent in England.We have applied for our Visa to come and live in OZ. We are family of 5... one 17 year old boy with a keen interest of a career in Media, has done half a media and photography diploma here, keen skater. one 11 year old girl, who is open to the change and makes friends easily . And last but not least, a 6 year old boy.

My husband(39) has 20 yrs exp working within a large pharmacutical company here as a supervisor up to a manager. And I,(38) am a mere house wife .I'd say we are a very modern young family, seeking a safe, comfortable environment for our children and our future grandchildren... We all wish come to live in Australia. We have narrowed our search down to South Australia, but we now need help..

Need to know good schools, both secondary and primary schools.

Good suburb( as cant afford adelaide, also think will be too much for us to live in centre, but will need to be close-ish for my oldest child.

We have heard SA is good for Pharma.. companies, so think my husband will find his past work exp useful to settle in SA?

We would wish to be settled around a young community, were we could poss walk to schools and beach, (make hubby drive to work) and not feel too cut-off .

lastly... my oldest child... he is the hard one I feel... as he is half way through college here (but very willing to give-up England) so will need a facility to either carry on with full time education at a suitable college which studies this are (Im not sure he's a Uni person) or start a post production company, media company... as a runner(tea boy), and work his way up then.

So my problem is a hard one. My husband and I are coming over to view areas in two weeks but would really love/need some honest/helpful opinions and views of the area and schools etc.We are open to the type of home we will eventually purchase, and think it may even be build for us. We will rent to start with, but I want to know the areas history.. before i settle my children into new schools/ friends...

please help!!!

Guest tim_the_taf

Edge, I worked for one of your husband's companies' main competitors for 13 years, based in the UK, and have consulted within the Pharma industry since I left there 11 years ago. Have been trying to get into the consulting market here, and an ex colleague runs a Pharma factory in Australia, so have some insights into the Pharma industry here. Generally speaking its not great for Pharma and I think it will slowly decline. Way lower cost manufacturing bases in China etc., and no tax incentives to manufacture here, so why would anyone have a factory here ? I live in WA, where there is a very small biotech sector, but thats about it. Not sure about SA, I think most pharma factories (that are left) are in NSW/ Vic. If not in manufacturing will just be sales offices and distribution. With a small population and limited distribution options, not exactly full of opportunities I'd have thought. If we can figure out a way of discussing this offline, happy to share what I've picked up on the industry over here.

Hi, we are thinking about coming to live in sa, can anyone tell me whether any of the suburbs have a skate boarding park, i know that adelaide has one, but we will be living in one of the suburbs and have a 17 yr old to pacify . Thanks

• 2 months later...
Guest Mike2oz

Hi "Edge"

Just like your husband I have also worked for a major pharma company in the UK as a production supervisor. In total I have about 18 years in the FMG industry.

As a family we also have dream of moving to Australia. Which visa are you guys applying for? Are you going on your husbands qualifictions? Does he have a job offer?

Sorry for all the questions but we are not sure where to start.

Many thanks

Michael

Guest jim & nik

Mike to oz.

Think it would be best of starting with a phone call to Australian House here in England.

I did and they tell you what would be best for you.( Not just the one phone call mined you)

Im still resurching SA . Woundering if i can currently afford the Visa in this unsertain climate,

My wife thinks it is an excuse but i need to think long term.

JIm

whether any of the suburbs have a skate boarding park, i know that adelaide has one, but we will be living in one of the suburbs and have a 17 yr old to pacify . Thanks

:shocked:We have skate parks just about everywhere!!!

Skateboarding is HUGE so your 17-yo will fit right in! The kids that hang around the parks tend to be good kids that really look after one another (you know, when the occasional tumble occurs!:v_SPIN:) with a nice community atmosphere there. The parks aren't like the big one in Sydney, but they are pretty good. Some have lighting, a few have cafes -or somewhere nearby to get refreshments-, and are used by people on boards, bikes and scooters. There are competitions as well - we had one yesterday at the Manning Road park.

I feel I should point out that Adelaide, as in the City, is a pretty small area. The suburbs round the City are also classed as Adelaide so unless you mean to move a bit further out to Aldinga or out to SA 'proper' like Whyalla, you'll still be 'in' Adelaide! If that makes any sense at all!

Gotta go!

LC

Archived