Primary Schools Sunshine Coast

Happy Rainbow

Moving over to the Sunshine Coast later this year and looking into schools for our 10 yo with some extra learning needs. He would get by in mainstream ed with a learning support plan. 

I started looking for a good state school but concerned he would get lost, because of the size.  Also looking into smaller and inclusive/supportive private schools that are not too competitive. 

Keen to hear experiences of others. Thanks!😀

Good point Cal 😀 yes, we are looking anywhere between Calounda-Maroochydore and slightly inland. Our jobs are flexible so we can go where the school is.

We are looking into Caloundra Christian College-looks very lovely and education tailored to needs? Any similar schools anyone knows in the area? 

But also thinking Buderim mountain state school, Chevallum, Kawana Waters. Looks like these have good learning needs policies. But getting the impression that learning support may be very hard to access these unless learning needs/disability quite significant?

Also been looking at Stella Maris Catholic School. Our son is in a Catholic school at the moment, but worry how he would cope  because some Catholic schools can be academically tough? I ruled out Siena so far because of that reason  but maybe I am jumping to conclusions too quickly? 

Any information/experiences would be great😀🙏  Thanks everyone!!

I can recommend Chevallum as a lovely inclusive school for children with difficulties. Mountain creek is also good apparently but very strictly zoned.  I’m not sure where you’re moving from,if it’s from the Uk be warned the system for those with special educational needs is hugely different.

Thanks Gaia, much appreciated :) I will look into those.

Yes moving from the UK and at the moment my expectations are low. I am imagining we need to go through all the assessments again if we want to access support.  Probably there are waiting lists and thresholds are very high I heard?  So my game plan is to hopefully enrol into a supportive and understanding school, so he can feel at ease.  Here in the UK our son has some adaptations i.e. extra time for tests and laptop use for text heavy topics/assignments. Not sure how easily this will be accommodated in any Queensland state school before formal assessment process is completed... Fingers crossed🤞

It’s true that an Australian diagnosis is needed once you’re here, the paediatrician we saw mainly went off Uk reports and paperwork. Our child was certainly able to access some support without an official australian diagnosis, we showed reports etc from the Uk school system. Things like using an iPad instead of having to hand write were offered to him without us asking at Chevallum school at any rate. I visited half a dozen schools and met with their learning support team before enrolling, visiting schools seems fairly common although since COVID that may have changed. One thing to bear in mind is catchment areas, if you live in the catchment area of a public school the school must accept you no matter what. The reverse of that is that out of catchment schooling is uncommon so pick your area well. Also I don’t know your visa status but the school will ask and you’ll need to provide it to them. Our child had been at catholic school in the Uk but didn’t continue here because sienna and Stella maris were hugely oversubscribed with waiting lists to enrol.

Ah thank you so much for sharing Gaia, all of that is gold dust!🙏 Very reassuring to know and very good idea to contact the learning departments. I will be doing exactly that. Skilled migration visas all sorted so thats one less concern. We'll be happy if our child  just has a good time settling in at school, makes some nice friends, enjoys sports and outdoor activities etc. The academic side will follow along the way hopefully I am thinking I might source a bit of learning support outside of school if it is really needed.  The paediatrician you've seen, was that via medicare or private? Any recommendation would be great but don't worry if not.

Yes the catchment areas; I have been all over the catchment area map (combined with google earth ), and going back and forth from seaside to inland 😂. Thats another dilemma. Weighing up ++ and -- at the moment. I absolutely love the peace of the lush hinterland, but a bit worried about becoming isolated in the sticks. I love to get out there to grab a coffee and have a chat. The coastal towns more lively but obviously also more built up and maybe crowded at times.  It looks like some of the coastal areas are up for a massive expansion and huge development going on.