Any other social workers applied for a 189 visa?

cricha200

This is the reason I'm saying, get your application in asap.  Pre-covid, you needed 90 points+ to stand any chance of getting a visa (social workers come under "All other non pro-rata" at the bottom of this table:

https://iscah.com/will-get-189-invitation-january-2020-estimates/

Currently, I've seen a report of medical staff being accepted with only 75 points (though I'm not sure if that's true or just an internet myth!).  

Most people take the English test to get more points, even though it's not compulsory for native English speakers.

You should look at the 190 visa too, because the states have always been far more flexible about point scores.  They tend to look at other factors besides points based on what their needs are.

6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

This is the reason I'm saying, get your application in asap.  Pre-covid, you needed 90 points+ to stand any chance of getting a visa (social workers come under "All other non pro-rata" at the bottom of this table:

Currently, I've seen a report of medical staff being accepted with only 75 points (though I'm not sure if that's true or just an internet myth!).  

Most people take the English test to get more points, even though it's not compulsory for native English speakers.

You should look at the 190 visa too, because the states have always been far more flexible about point scores.  They tend to look at other factors besides points based on what their needs are.

Hello again! Your advice has made me actually get to work on my visa today. Have emailed my university to get everything to start the skills assessment off, and done the mock points test etc, and have 85 points, including the English. Unsure how I can muster up any more than that looking at the factors. Do you think work experience is worth getting assessed for points? I will have 3 years worth in may this year. Will explore the 190 visa too, see what position states are in aswell. Thanks again for it your help here! 

51 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Back again Marisa,

having looked at the 190 visa as you suggested, I can't see the difference except in "independent" and "nominated". If a 190 visa was the one i applied for, would this mean I was tied to one state? Would you suggest the 190 is more achievable?

5 hours ago, cricha200 said:

If a 190 visa was the one i applied for, would this mean I was tied to one state? Would you suggest the 190 is more achievable?

Yes, the 190 is much more achievable.  The requirements are the same, and the 190 is a full permanent visa just like the 189.  The only difference is that you have to choose one state and submit your application to them.  If you're successful, you must live and work in that state for 2 years.  After that, you can work anywhere you like, and apply for citizenship etc exactly like the 189.

The 190 is more achievable because everyone wants total freedom to live anywhere in Australia, so most people go for the 189 and that pushes up the points score required to beat the crowd.    Also, the 189 criteria are (usually) applied rigidly - candidates with the most points win, end of story.  Whereas the states look at what skills they actually require, and may give a place to someone with fewer points but who has the experience they're looking for. 

If you wanted to go for the 190, then I'd go for the states with the highest populatin (NSW, Victoria or Queensland) to ensure you have plenty of options within the state.  

Edited by Marisawright

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, the 190 is much more achievable.  The requirements are the same, and the 190 is a full permanent visa just like the 189.  The only difference is that you have to choose one state and submit your application to them.  If you're successful, you must live and work in that state for 2 years.  After that, you can work anywhere you like, and apply for citizenship etc exactly like the 189.

The 190 is more achievable because everyone wants total freedom to live anywhere in Australia, so most people go for the 189 and that pushes up the points score required to beat the crowd.    Also, the 189 criteria are (usually) applied rigidly - candidates with the most points win, end of story.  Whereas the states look at what skills they actually require, and may give a place to someone with fewer points but who has the experience they're looking for. 

If you wanted to go for the 190, then I'd go for the states with the highest populatin (NSW, Victoria or Queensland) to ensure you have plenty of options within the state.  

Hi Marisa, 

the 190 does sound more achievable then. So if I went for that, in say, Victoria where I know there is a high demand for social work, I would need to live and stay there consistently for two years? Could I still go with the original plan to come back for 3-4 months to the uk? Ideally, Melbourne would be my first choice of city so spending two years there would be no hardship.

32 minutes ago, cricha200 said:

Hi Marisa, 

the 190 does sound more achievable then. So if I went for that, in say, Victoria where I know there is a high demand for social work, I would need to live and stay there consistently for two years? Could I still go with the original plan to come back for 3-4 months to the uk? Ideally, Melbourne would be my first choice of city so spending two years there would be no hardship.

Check with your agent, but the important thing is to establish Victoria as your main place of residency and your main place of work I believe