Does PMSOL apply to the 189 or 190 visa?

JimL

Dear all, I am a Social Worker who has applied for an EOI for 189 and 190(Victoria) visas on July 2019. Then COVID came and we all know what happened. I saw that Social Worker is recently added to PMSOL. Does this increase my chances of being selected? I have 14 years experience of working with families and healthcare settings. Thanks in advance!   

Common sense would suggest they would look at yours. I believe pmsol is for employment sponsored visas, ie you go straight to work, tied to the employer. 189/190 you have carte blanche to engage in any career, or kick back and sign on. Even though you have jumped through all the hoops to get selected, you are not considered to be in demand, ironic... Being offshore makes it even more clear cut you will be overlooked.  

On other forums, there are people, onshore, waiting for their 189s close to 2 years and are employed in their nominated fields, in the pmsol category.

Personally the whole process is nonsensical and we are all sitting with our hands cupped out hoping to be acknowledged. Tomorrow just could be your day, or you could still be on this forum next July asking if any grants have been done recently. 

Best of luck, we are all in the same boat. 👍

Thanks for replying! I did see that PMSOL only applies to the employer visa subclasses. However, I am also hearing from registered migration agents that the PMSOL also affect the other skilled visas like 189 and 190. So I don’t really know who to believe now. Hence me posting in this forum.

5 minutes ago, JimL said:

Thanks for replying! I did see that PMSOL only applies to the employer visa subclasses. However, I am also hearing from registered migration agents that the PMSOL also affect the other skilled visas like 189 and 190. So I don’t really know who to believe now. Hence me posting in this forum.

I think there must have been a change of mind at some point as there are a few agent websites still saying the 189 and 190 are included 

@JimL I don't blame you for asking the question. Truthfully, at the moment it seems to be an absolute lottery who gets their grant. But based upon 190 processing times you should be thinking another +6 months for some movement. Global processing times, potential opening of borders and even new allocations from July. People waiting longer may be there too, who knows. I have heard of people who had acquired their provisional visas prior, (pmsol catg) but couldn't fly out due to the border closures, have then tried to gain job offers in Australia and applied for multiple travel exemptions to enter. I'm not suggesting they got them but this is what people have tried.

They are in no particular rush to bring offshore over and no need to expedite other categories if they can help it.

It's a bitter pill, but no harm being optimistic 👍

On 08/01/2021 at 14:30, JimL said:

Dear all, I am a Social Worker who has applied for an EOI for 189 and 190(Victoria) visas on July 2019. Then COVID came and we all know what happened. I saw that Social Worker is recently added to PMSOL. Does this increase my chances of being selected? I have 14 years experience of working with families and healthcare settings. Thanks in advance!   

At the moment for VIC 190, you have to be onshore and have been working in VIC for the past 6 months. Priority is given to occupations that are critical to support Victoria's economic/health recovery.