Arriving in Oz pregnant -medicare Qs

snufkin

Hi,

I hope someone knows something about this and can help advise me. I've been googling and looking at the gov websites but it's not completely clear!

I am a permanent resident and my husband is a citizen but we haven't lived in Oz for the last few years. When I was in Oz I only had a temporary Medicare card which has long expired. We now are hoping to return to Oz in spring when I am around 7 months pregnant. But we worried about my lack of Medicare card and if I would be covered as soon as I arrive/apply for a new card as a resident or if like in some countries you have to have lived there for a period of time before you are covered by the health care.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info.

3 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Yes, as soon as you arrive you just need to go to centrelink and they will arrange a new card. You will get a temporary number on the day to use until your card arrives by post. 

Brilliant thank you for your help. Now to hope everything goes smoothly through the quarantine period!