Help! Perusuasion needed i dont want to go to oz! - im 15

koalakids

Hi there! My name's Hollie and i'm 15 yrs old. My mum and dad are newly registered to this site and are just about to start the visa application process to go to Melbourne in July08. I need to know that the quality of life in oz will be so much better over there than here, i don't want to lose my really good friends, and i just need reassurance that it would be such a great oppurtunity worthy of losing all my friends.

We've never been to any part of Oz before so i have no idea what any of it is like at all, i think the only things i do know is that it sunny pretty much all of the time, and we're called poms over there :lol:. When we eventually get there i'll be 16 and a half so i would have to go back into schooling. I'd really like to know what to expect from Australian education, is it really that much different from British?

What I think i'd really like is to get opinions off any teenagers who live over in Oz that could give me the low down on what to expect, and the true reality of living the so called Ozzy dream. We are hoping to live in the Point Cook area of Melbourne if that is of any help.

Any advice would be much appreciated, and i would love to hear from anyone else out there who has the same worries as me.

Hollie

Guest spray21

Hi Hollie

Unfortunately I'm not a teenager any more (not for a few years now!) but I can reassure you that you will make LOTS more new friends over the next few years, whether you are in the UK or in Oz. Those mates you have now who you are close to you will keep in touch with wherever you are.

Try to look on the bright side - you have so many years ahead of you, you can do whatever you want with the rest of your life. Why not give Oz a go? I bet most of your UK mates will be so jealous!

Hey! Thankyou so much for the help :D It really made me think that its true my true friends would be the ones who kept in touch with me. I suppose its just the prospect of moving to literally the other side of the world with nobody but your family to rely on. I think maybe as it gets nearer and nearer to the time when we have to leave i'll beable to see more clearly what i want to do. I'm only 15 now, and id be half a yr off being 17 when we go, so i suppose i'd be more mature then. The main things that worry me though are the fact that i don't know how well poms go down with the ozzys, i guess i'd feel the odd one out, and it'd take me ages to make new friends again. I don't understand any of the schooling over there either so that would take a while for me to get my head around for starters. There's just so much to think about it's confusing. Thanks again for your help

Hollie x

Guest spray21

You're welcome! You're right that your true friends will keep in touch anyway.

To be honest I think everyone gets scared about 'the big move', whatever their age. You sound like a pretty switched-on 15 year old, I think you'll be fine.

Work hard at school and be nice to your teachers!

:wink:

Hey Hollie, i'm Krista's daughter. I'm 15 now and moved here 3 months ago. I think that Australia is everything it was hyped up to be maybe even more, probably one of the best moves to make in my opinion. Schooling is quite a bit different to be honest, not in any bad way though. I went to a private school back in England but here i go to a state school and the standard of teaching is just as good! As a P.E option i chose surfing but you have the choice of sooo many more things just as fun!

We live in Sanctuary Lakes which is across the road from Point Cook and its easy to get in and out of the city. Also easy to get to a variety of schools.

You won't lose your friends you'll just have twice as many! Eeveryone here is really friendly and at schools there doesn't seem to be any nastiness, seems like the Australians are too chilled out for stuff like that. Leaving your friends to begin with will probably be a bit hard but it doesn't take long to settle in here and find your own little group. Plus, you've always got msn etc. i tend to talk to my English friends most days!

If you want to know anything else you can pm my mum and i'll send you my email address.

Guest uksniper

Hi, my name is Rachael. we're moving to Oz in June 2008. We're going to Singleton, close to Sydney. I'm almost 14, so will be 15 and 3 months when we go, my brother will be a few weeks off being 12. I go to a private school here and it's good to know that the schooling is good over there. I feel the same way as you about loosing friends but if they are true friends they will keep in touch. I've moved from Germany to Wales and my close friends from there keep in touch now and I can't see that changing. I think the different accents will make it a bit easier to make new friends as they'll find you interesting and different. I'm looking forward to it, but am a bit scared too.

Rachael xxx

Guest thistles and gum trees
Hi, my name is Rachael. we're moving to Oz in June 2008. We're going to Singleton, close to Sydney. I'm almost 14, so will be 15 and 3 months when we go, my brother will be a few weeks off being 12. I go to a private school here and it's good to know that the schooling is good over there. I feel the same way as you about loosing friends but if they are true friends they will keep in touch. I've moved from Germany to Wales and my close friends from there keep in touch now and I can't see that changing. I think the different accents will make it a bit easier to make new friends as they'll find you interesting and different. I'm looking forward to it, but am a bit scared too.

Rachael xxx

Hi Rachael,

I just wanted to say hi and let you know that we are also moving outside Newcastle in June 2008. We are heading to Victoria first for 6 months or so (we think) but should be up in the Hunter Valley by June July. We have three kids but my eldest son be 15 and and 3 months (11th March) by then and my daughter 13 and a half. They have moved around a lot before (military) but are really nervous about moving down under also. Closer to the time if you want to pm you can have our e-mail address and contact them if you want. I have read some of your parents stuff before so I know we are in the same boat and doing a similar move. Hope all goes well for you AND ALSO for the other teens doing the big move. Try and keep in touch together kids - as an adult its great to hear about other peoples moves so I'm sure you youths can help each other out too!

Happy New Year to all, from a slightly cloudy but warm Cyprus.

Hey just wanted to thank all you guys that have made me feel that i'm definitely not alone in the way of being nervous about moving to Oz. Wow i was born in Akrotiri in Cyprus because my dad's in the army but he hasn't got very long left now thankfully. I've lived in so many different countries because of my dad's work that you'd think that i wouldn't be nervous. I most recently lived in Germany. I just think that now i'm much more mature, and have much better friends here i don't want to lose that again. I suppose i'm gonnna need time to adjust no matter where i am, and i guess Oz deserves a chance, thnaks again everyone

Hollie xx

Guest thistles and gum trees

Hi Hollie,

Good to hear that you are feeling positive. We live in Akrotiri - where you were born! We have been here for 4 years and love it.

We expect to be moving to Victoria in 9 months and will either be heading for Sale or Laverton/Point Cook area also. My eldest two children attend St Johns School Episkopi and if we do head to Point Cook, we will let you know about schools etc. Hope all goes well with you and your family and you have a great New Year.

If your parents want to compare notes over the next few months get them to post a reply.

Blessings.

Archived