Visa 143 or 864

Lorraine1954

10 minutes ago, Lorraine1954 said:

Hi all, currently in the UK,  hope to be back over next year covid depending. Can you please advise if it would be better to apply off or onshore. Also expected timelines. Hubby and i are getting on in years now. 

I’m quite sure the 143 is an off shore visa, not sure about the other one. As for timescales, the 143 would have taken about 8 years minimum from application but with the slowdown effect of Covid I would imagine it will be in double figures now. How old are you both?

143 is an off shore visa in that you have to wait off shore but you can put in an application on shore. 

For  864 us applied for onshore - one of you has to be  67 from July next year so you could apply  but I doubt the borders will be open then. 

application fees and wait times were  similar for both - only difference is that you can get a bridging visa and wait on shore with 864 but you won’t get full Medicare. Just reciprocal health insurance  So you really need to be aware of any future potential health or aged care costs because you probably wouldn’t get them. It’s also  a lot more expensive to buy property as you’re only classed as a temporary resident. 

Applications for 864 will now take longer as they had been processed ahead of 143 - incorrectly. This is being rectified. Applications made now will take longer as they had reached January 2017 for 864 but only May 2016 for 143 so 864s will be put on hold until 143 reach January 2017. And theres an awful lot more 143s than 864s!!

You just have to weigh up all the pros and cons  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lorraine1954 said:

66 and 71. Visa 864 is onshore. 

You could look to go for the 864 then if you wanted to, subject to getting back to Australia. I’d have a consultation with a migrant agent if I was you as there are many negatives to being on a bridging visa and you would be stuck on one for many years. There are some excellent agents who regularly post on here. 

Edited by Tulip1

Hi all,

my parents applied for 864 visa In 2019. It’s very difficult to find any information on how the processing is going and where things are up to. That said the information in some of these threads is good background for me.

with the latest budget prioritising onshore applications will that apply to 864 visa applicants? or will 864 visa processing remain on hold as advised in the above message?

does anyone have any insight as to whether the trade agreement being negotiated may change anything for family movement between Aus and UK?

thanks

• Like 1