whats adelaide like

batman

we are in the early stages of migration and are torn between nsw and adelaide at first we thought nsw might be a bit expensive,but after some research found some areas which we could afford.wollongong looks appealing but the main factor is my work i am a baker and i dont want to travel to far im not sure if bakers are in demand. has anybody got an opinion on adelaide

Guest Pesky Varmit

Hi Batman

can't help you make up your mind but here's some info about Adelaide. We arrived 6 weeks ago and love every minute of it. Adelaide is very much like a big town as opposed to a city, suits us as we lived in Belfast before which is similar in size, just not as compact. It is a very green city with loads of parks and reserves, even in the city centre. The folks here are very friendly,polite and helpful. There is plenty to do for everyone, including families, if you have one. It is very easy to get around when driving, the city is laid out in a big grid, although the bus service I have been told isn't that great, but we've never used it. So far it seems a lovely place to raise a family. Don't know about the job prospects as a baker, you could always check out the job sites or the Advertiser is the local paper with job sections on Saturdays, you can view online. House prices are affordable, plenty to choose from in all price ranges. Hope this helps, good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Guest BriannKerry

Hi Pesky Varmit

As soon as I saw you from Belfast I instantly felt better! Myself and my husband have made the decision to move to Australia and are considering Adelaide. Any advice on the whole process? Did you use an immigration agent or go it alone?? How long has it been since you made an application to being there now for a few weeks? How r u liking it?

You aren't missing anything in Belfast - gale force winds, rain and fog!!!

Guest Pesky Varmit

Hi BriannKerry

We did it all on our own, pretty straight forward if you follow all the notes with the form. We personally did not want to spend a few thousand for someone else to fill in the form, with answers we'd just given them!! The process from having our application acknowledged to visa grant was just shy of 7 months and that included a medical hitch which added about a month to the process. We arrived 7 weeks today and as you've read on my post to batman, we have made the best decission of our lives :D everything just seems miles better !!. We are all definitely more relaxed and the stress of the whole application, house sale etc has been well worth it. I am pleased to say tha no-one is suffering from homesickness yet, even over Christmas, but we're not foolish enought to think it won't happen. I'm sure it will come and bite us on the bum sometime :) And when it does all we have to do is think about the reasons that made us want to leave.

Good luck with whatever you decide, you only have one life....make sure you really live it!! :)

Guest The.Colebecks

Hi

We were originally going to Adelaide but decided on Perth mainly because we have family there.

So far, we're pleased we've changed our minds about going to Adelaide as apart from other reasons we've heard comments regarding the State 'luring' trades people there but there very little or no work :?

I know this is hearsay but it might be an idea to do some serious research on the job front if you do decide on Adelaide.

Good luck

Karen

Guest coachgirl

:lol:

hi all,

this is my first time so apologies if i faff about too much. we too are in the process of applying for visa's. my husband is a brick layer and a stone mason, we have both lived abroad before but this will be a first in oz. while we are vey excited we have some queries that you may be able to help with, again where??? we are thinking of brisbane probably the coast area as we don't want to live in a big city, adelaide or perth also are contenders. Are they any brickies out there who could advise on work availability. also i bought a book re moving and the schools came in for a bit of a slating, any feed back. We have 3 children, 6, 13 and 16 years.

we hope to be regular visitor's to the forum and have enjoyed all the notes so far,

hoping you all enjoy the new year!

regards,

coachgirl - Ireland but living in london

Archived