Risky Visa Application

Hi Folks,

I just got an invite to lodge my visa for my 189 EOI (90 points) in Civil Engineering. However, I just realized that I may have overclaimed 5 points related to Australian work experience. Here's the issue:

I worked for an Australian-based company in Canada for many years and in 2012 I did a year long secondment with them in their Queensland office. I was physically present in Australia for 11 months and after the 11 month mark, I moved back to Canada to work with my home office. In filling out my EOI I thought I could claim one year of Australian work experience because even though I only spent 11 months in Australia, I spent the 1 month back I was back  in Canada still working on Australian projects as part of the project handover phase. Now I realize that to claim the 5 points for Aus experience, you need to be physically present in the country.

Should I proceed with my application? An agent that I consulted with told me to take the risk, as the chances of invites ever being issued post covid are quite small. I feel like the likelihood of rejection is very high in my case and I don't want being refused a visa to go on my records and affect my future applications (for example for an 190 or temporary work 482).

Many Thanks