Ready for a change - considering a move from Melbourne to Brisbane

bringmesunshine

Hi All,  

So after been in Melbourne for the last 6 years, 4 years prior in Sydney we are looking at relocating to warmer climes.

We built a house here in Melbourne which we would need to sell.  For those who have relocated with a house to sell and kids in school where did you start???  Sell your house and rent local before moving?  Or try and sell your house to time with the move, or did you infact rent your house out??

I've been doing a fair bit of research and would like areas in Brisbane with great state schools/possibly private but would like to explore the state option first if we can tie in with a good area.  Budget, ideally would be $750k max - hopefully that'll get us a 4 bed, 2 bath, pool on at least 600m2 plus block?!.  Not wanting much!!  (Although we'd look at renting first).  Oh and to be  near the water (walking distance) 

Where do we start....Oh my husband would need a job first and to add to the complexity we have a dog!

We plan on coming up for a reccie once we can fly!

Thanks all - I look forward to hearing your suggestions....

As you will be aware houses are a fair bit cheaper up in Brisbane so you should be fine on that score assuming you are selling in Melbourne. Perhaps someone who lives up there could tell you which are the good areas for schools etc. Having lived in Sydney you would be used to more heat - the comments I have heard from ex Brisbane people tend to be that they find the Summer too humid but others aren’t bothered by the heat , depends on the individual.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for your suggestions.  We actually loved the heat in Sydney and do miss the humidity.  Ok, so the extreme days where it was 40 plus, 5 days running got a bit much, but the beach or air con helped with that.

We are swaying towards renting first (should we make the move).  My husband has had a look at jobs but nothing in his criteria yet, so that could be a challenge.  

Thanks

The climate is Brisbane is lovely if you like the heat, winter does get nippy though especially of an evening.

I would look for jobs first then try to pinpoint some areas, commuting North to South or vice versa isnt much fun, especially at rush hour.  Wynnum and Manly down towards Bayside (Cleveland, Thornlands, Birkdale, Wellington Point, and my fav, Raby Bay etc) would probably be your best bet if you want to walk to the water, there are some good schools that way on too, so hopefully you can find work within a commutable distance.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x