Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!


Advice from other uk sparks

Recommended Posts

Is there much work for sparks who have mainly domestic experience? I currently work for a Social housing association Doing inspection and testing, filling in Eicr’s, minor works and all other relevant paperwork, this varies from single phase to 3 phase, I test schools, care homes, office blocks etc 

I have experience in new build install work on domestic property’s, re wires etc 

I am fully qualified, have all the relevant qualifications such as NVQ level 3, AM2, 2391 testing, Gold card, 


I have PR from a few years ago when I was on a WHV and when I Fulfilled my obligations to my employer I had to leave due to family issues, 

I got sponsored as a bar manager which I done for many years prior to becoming an electrician, 

The travel facility runs out next year so I’m not sure weather to take the plunge and head over, I have no desire to ever work in a bar again as that was just a job which worked well for travelling, as I want to make a permanent move over I want to see if such jobs exist and if so 

are they anything like the UK way of things? Is the testing much different? I’m happy to start as a TA for the time being but just want to get an idea other people’s prospective on things? 

any feedback, advice criticism is more than welcome 




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


i am a UK spark living in Adelaide. If you come over you will need to get your skills transferred to Aussie regulations otherwise you will only be able to a Trades Assistant because you wouldn’t be able to get a full license. 

it pretty much consists of having an assessment done to prove what you have done in the past. You will need to document what you have done and also do a practical exam and skills test. It’s not cheap but once you have that you will gain an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). You will need this before you can apply to do any studies over here. 

Once here you will need to do a college course over 3 weeks full time and then will need to log at least 6-12 months of work. Once all that has been done you can apply for your full license and will then be able to sign off on your work. 

From my experience here the sort of thing you currently do doesn’t really happen that way here. You could work for a maintenance company that would service houses, offices, retail, etc but I haven’t come across any company dedicated to testing. 

hope this helps a little 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Just to add on to what curly has wrote.

The gap training has all changed now. Infact I'm doing it as we speak and our class are the guinea pigs.

I can provide you with all info but it may take a while lol.

Inbox me if interested in knowing the new course info.


  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now