HR Qualification/Skills Assesment for a 491

Ben&Sarah

Hi, new here! My other half and I have just begun our journey, we’d love to go to a Perth (as I have Dad and Brother there) but as a HR Advisor and IT Project Manager, we’re told the only route for WA is employer sponsored which I’m not keen on. 

We’ve been advised to look into a 491 through SA or NT, based on my job, but it all depends whether my HR CIPD Level 5 qualification classes as equivalent to AQF Diploma level. if it’s not then I won’t pass the skills assessment just yet, I’d need another years experience.

I’m aware of a 30min consultation VETASSESS can offer (at a cost of course 😆) initially but are there any HR professionals on here who might be able to shed any light?

I can't help with your specific question but I think you are right to be nervous about the 482 visa, though it would get you to WA.   

The employer-sponsored visa is a temporary visa, designed to fill short-term gaps in the labour market, and the government wants you to go home at the end of it.  They do offer the possibility of applying for PR after three years (some would say grudgingly), but it's only a possibility and there are a number of risk factors along the way which result in many people not achieving it. 

The 491 is a provisional visa, designed to encourage migrants to live in the under-populated regional areas of Australia.  The government wants you to stay at the end of the visa, and hopes that by the time you've spent four years in a regional area, you'll like it so much you'll settle there for good. So they offer a clear pathway to permanency provided you meet the conditions. So although nothing in life is ever guaranteed, there is more certainty with the 491 than the 482. 

I hope someone is able to answer your question. Good luck.