Applying for citizenship

Physiomitch

Hi All.

I am a British citizen on a British passport but was born in South Africa from British parents. I am now in Australia wanting to apply for citizenship online. On one form it asks about whether I am currently a citizen of another country. I have to add which country but it also asks for a start date and an end date of citizenship. How do I fill this in when I am still a British citizen? I have not ended my South African or British citizenship to my knowledge. Any help please. Thanks.

Regards

Physiomitch

Are you sure you're a South African citizen?   Their rules have changed several times over the years    One of my friends was born in South Africa but became a German citizen in her twenties.  It was only when she decided to retire in South Africa that she discovered her German citizenship had automatically cancelled her South African citizenship. 

Everyone (except some refugees) holds citizenship of another country when they fill in that form, so there must be a way round it.  Have you tried to see if you can leave the end date blank?

Hi Marisawright

Thanks for the reply. When we left South Africa I had a letter from the then foreign minister that I could hold both South Africa and British passports, hence dual citizenship. If it has changed I do not know about it.

Regards the end date I have to fill in a date. We were thinking maybe use today's date and in the comments box below say we are still British citizens and just put that date in to complete the form. ???

Cheers