How soon should i move after getting a PR?

SoniaG

Hey All,

I got my PR grant in Oct 2018 and made my mandatory entry in May 2019. I plan to make the permanent move to Aus by mid 2020. The reason for the delay in my move was coz i want to save up before moving to Aus. I wanted to know if there will be any complications for me? The reason i am asking is coz my friend told me yest that he knows someone who got her PR but was living abroad and was only making a weekly visit every 6 months or so and the gov sent her an email saying that her PR will be revoked if she doesn't make the move permanently. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about this. 

Could someone please let me know if there is a deadline for people to make the permanent move? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sonia

42 minutes ago, SoniaG said:

Hey All,

I got my PR grant in Oct 2018 and made my mandatory entry in May 2019. I plan to make the permanent move to Aus by mid 2020. The reason for the delay in my move was coz i want to save up before moving to Aus. I wanted to know if there will be any complications for me? The reason i am asking is coz my friend told me yest that he knows someone who got her PR but was living abroad and was only making a weekly visit every 6 months or so and the gov sent her an email saying that her PR will be revoked if she doesn't make the move permanently. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about this. 

Could someone please let me know if there is a deadline for people to make the permanent move? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sonia

If your PR grant was in Oct 2018 you have until Oct 2023 to make the permanent move (the date is on the visa grant).

You need to bear in mind that if you wait until then you will need to get an RRV (resident return visa) if you want to leave the country since the travel portion of your visa will have expired. You will not have an automatic right to a 5 year RRV until you have lived in Australia for 2 years. There is a 1 year RRV but you have to provide evidence of ties to Australia to get that and if you need to travel shortly after arriving you'll probably be ineligible for even that. 

On the plus side, because you've already entered Australia on your Permanent Visa then (unless they've changed the rules since I did it) you can use up to a year before you moved as part of your 4 year residency requirement for Australian citizenship. To explain that, the rule is you have to have lived in Australia for 4 years and you can't be outside of Australia for more than 12 months in that period but there is nothing to say the 12 months can't be the first 12 months. Provided you don't leave the country you can be eligible for citizenship 3 years after making the permanent move (assuming in your case that you make it after May 2020) rather than 4 years afterwards which is what you might think you need.

• Like 2