Age of dependent child for visa 190 and 491

Sheila Li

Up to the age of 18 (i.e. before actually turning 18) they are automatically a dependent child.

Over 18 they will need a form 47a filling out and proof that they are actually dependent on you (invoices of you paying for stuff for them, payments you make to them etc.)

I remember reading somewhere that over 23 you can't be a dependent child, but I can't find that anywhere now so I may have made that up 😉

26 minutes ago, Sheila Li said:

Thank you so much for your information.

I will ask her to apply for a student visa/ working holiday then. She can apply for skilled migration herself some years later.  

I would wait for one of the resident migrsation agents who dwell on these boards to come along and confirm or "fix" what I've said before you get her to do anything.

Have you got your own migration agent? If not it might be worth engaging one for a bit of advice on this, as there may well be an elegant solution that just isn't known to the masses.

The issue you will have with a student visa is that she will need to attend (and have a place) at a college/university in Australia, and her ability to work will be curtailed by a restriction on the number of hourts she can work in a week.

The holiday visa is an option but you only get one of these in your lifetime that lasts for a year, so it's a quick temporary fix to youir situation at best. Also you can only work in one employer for a maximum of 6 months, so that limits her to the more "casual" side of employment (bars, cafes, restaurants, tourist attractions, temp work).

*** Note: you can get a second year extension to a working holiday visa but that requires some of your first year being spent in a rural employment (like farming) in order to qualify

Another question, does she even want to come? 

Our 18yr old school attending kid was reticent enough about coming (friends, partbner, familiar locations etc.) - I can only imagine that those wanting to be with mates rather than family feelings grow stronger the older they get - they did in my own life anyway

It's an expensive undertaking if she later decides she isn't going to use it anyway

$2020 as a subsequent visa applicant

£350 in medical fees (approx)

£50 in police fees (approx) 

So it's best part of £1,500 that you might be wasting if she has no interest in using the visa